Hightower returns to LCC with big goals, big personality

After a year away from Hayward Field, Dakarai Hightower returned Friday at the Oregon Relays and won the men’s high jump with a jump of 7 feet, ¼ inch.

Then he allowed his witty humor to come to life.

“I ate a big bowl of Wheaties,” he said. “Michael Jordan on the box, had that Kobe mindset. Pineapples, a lot of pineapples.

“Nah, I just jumped really well today. I did. Got to thank the big man upstairs,” said Hightower.

Taking the win by just under a foot was as easy as his mindset for each jump he takes. “Eat, sleep, conquer, repeat,” said Hightower. With a short, simple approach, Hightower made his jump look flawless as he sailed over the bar for the winning mark.

He was not done, however.

Two weeks ago at the Linfield meet, Hightower cleared 7-3 and was looking to raise the bar. This week, with the crowd clapping at Hayward Field, Hightower drew in the energy, looking to go 7-4. Twice the crowd got behind Hightower, but he hit the bar both times as he went over. Although a bit disappointed, he smiled to the crowd and back-flipped into the mat to still celebrate a win.

“It was pretty still. Not too windy, there was a little headwind at the beginning, had to adjust back just a bit. Overall it was pretty good,” said Hightower.

After a year absence, Hightower returned to Lane Community College Track and Field in hopes of qualifying for this summer’s Olympic Trials. “I always got to put in that little extra mile. I think it’s on the rise,” said Hightower.

He said his teammates have been supportive of him and are happy to have him back. “I love this team. Love Eugene. Love U of O. Great people, great crowd,” said Hightower.

Even though being away, Hightower managed to participate in track. He stayed home in Tacoma, Washington, to help his family save money while still doing track. Previous high school coaches have helped him. He couldn’t compete beyond Oregon and Washington because of the expense. Depending on where the meet was held, Hightower was not worried as he had friends to stay with to keep his dream alive.

Hightower is not necessarily trying to set goals for himself as the season goes on. “I don’t really go out there with a set,” he said. “If I set a goal for myself like 7-4 or 7-5 and don’t achieve it, I’m going to be disappointed. I just go out there and jump the jump.”

Despite not setting goals, Hightower is aware of the expectations in making the Olympic Trials. He will have to jump 7 feet, 5 inches to have a chance, but Olympic qualifiers are jumping at 7 feet, 8 inches. “I’m open,” he said.

Staying open can come a long ways for Hightower, but his meal before each meet shows his free flowing nature.

“Yea, I say some Wheaties, maybe a couple of goat eggs,” said Hightower.

Andrew Bet