Devon Allen branches out with 200-meter win

Devon Allen, the NCAA champion in the men’s 110 meter hurdles, ran a career best in the men’s 200 meters Friday night at the Oregon Relays with a time of 20.68.

His teammate, 400-meter runner Marcus Chambers, finished second in 20.94, also a personal best.

“New PR, so you can’t complain,” Allen said. “I wanted to run a little bit faster, but I think that’s a good time for that for sure.”

He also said it should be nice to get a little more rest before tomorrow, when he will run both hurdles events. Last week at the Pepsi Team Invitational, he ran in four events in one afternoon.

Allen knew he would have a tough competitor in his teammate, Chambers.

“He’s a beast. He’s a 400-meter guy,” Allen said. “Especially in the 200 meters I knew I had to get out in front of him.”

Allen explained that his goals are “just to run fast and stay healthy. The number one key is just stay healthy because you can’t run for a national title if you’re not in the race.”

He said he isn’t practicing in spring football so he can focus on track and that he is feeling better and faster.

“Wherever they can throw me in there to get some points or to get a chance to win, I’ll do it,” he explained.

He even joked that he would do the 5,000 but, “only if Edward Cheserek is racing.”

Stephanie Cusano