Women’s 800: Eunice Sum wins in successful sprint to the finish

Eunice Jepkoech Sum of Kenya outsprinted American Anjee Wilson in the final straightaway to win the 800 meters at the Prefontaine Classic Saturday afternoon.

She finished in 1 minute, 57.82 seconds, with Wilson coming in at 1:57.87.

Sum is the only two-time IAAF Diamond trophy winner in this event, as well as the reigning world champion. The 27-year-old won four straight Diamond League races in 2014, the most in one year for any competitor.

Wilson, who turned 21 this month, set the U.S. junior record of 1:58.21 in Moscow during the 2013 world championships.

For most of the race, American Brenda Martinez, who earned bronze at the 2013 worlds, had the early lead and decided to kick early, as soon as the first lap finished.

“I was trying to slowly reel the runners in before the bell lap,” Martinez said. “I felt like I was in striking distance, but I felt like I may have gone a little too early.”

After the Bowerman Curve, it was a final sprint for the finish, and Martinez fell behind Sum and Wilson.

“I think I executed the plan — just ran out of gas the last 100 meters,” Martinez said. “I was just trying to focus on lifting my knees and the arms, but they just weren’t moving. They felt like cement.”

Beth Maiman