Men’s steeplechase: Ezekiel Kemboi leads Kenyan sweep

Going into the final hurdle, Kenya’s Ezekiel Kemboi and Jairus Kipchoge Birech were neck-and-neck in the men’s 3,000-meter steeplechase. And as the two prepared for the final stretch, one clean jump was the only difference between first and second.

After trailing just behind Birech for the entire of the race, Kemboi calmly overtook the lead with a routine jump, cruising to a victory in 8 minutes, 1.71 seconds, the world’s leading time this year and a Prefontaine Classic record.

Birech, whose only error appeared to come on that final jump, claimed second in 8:01.83, a season best for the veteran Kenyan. Birech admitted that the last jump was the difference.

“The race was so tough,” Birech said. “I’m so happy to race with guys like Kemboi. Very strong field.”

Coming in third was world silver medalist Conseslus Kipruto in 8:05.20, also a season best.

The American record holder, Evan Jager, finished fourth in 8:05.28.

“I had heard that most everyone wanted 5:25 through 2K and then Birech asked for 5:20,” Jager said. “I was in eighth or ninth place, and I was like ‘I feel like crap.’ Everyone brought their A game.”

In one of the most decorated groups at the 41st Prefontaine Classic – nine Kenyans, a handful of them past Olympic and world champions, and the American record holder – Kemboi and Birech put on a show. Excluding Haron Lagat, who retired immediately after pacing a 5:20 split through 2,000 meters, Kemboi and Birech were in a race of their own.

Jager, who was occupied with keeping up with Kipruto, said he was surprised by the pace set by Kemboi and Birech. He was shocked that this race, at one point, was on pace with a sub-eight minute finish. Jager had to ask the media about the finish. Nonetheless, Jager was pleased with his time as the majority of this field prepares for the Beijing worlds in August.

“He’s so quick,” Jager said of Kemboi. “He’s faster than I am, but I felt good the last lap and I was happy to see 8:05. Sucks it was just off the record, but it’s fine, it’s a long season.”

Not too long after Kemboi claimed the world lead and meeting record time, he broke out into a shimmy victory dance. He’ll be looking forward to having another opportunity to break out this dance again when this group reconvenes in Beijing.

“I like dancing after my races,” Kemboi said. “I just need to dance to make (my fans) happy.”

Hayden Kim