Women’s triple jump: Oregon State’s Maus warms up for NCAAs

Just last week, Portland’s Katherine Maus broke the Oregon State stadium record in the women’s triple jump with a jump of 40 feet, 7.75 inches. It was her third straight event recording a personal best.

Today, she continued her success at Hayward Field under clear blue skies by winning the Oregon Twilight with a jump of 40 feet, 4.75 inches. It was only her fourth attempt after fouling on her first two. Maus, who is competing in two other events –100 meters and long jump – opted to pass on her final two jumps with the event in hand.

“Hayward is definitely close to my heart,” Maus said. “I competed here a few times and there’s nothing like it. I’ve got a whole family out here from Salt Lake City, so that was really cool.”

Finishing behind Maus were Portland State’s Ta’Mara Richey (39 feet, 6 inches) and D’Nara Jones (38 feet, 2 inches).

Maus, a senior, has come a long way since last year’s Twilight meet. To put into perspective: Maus boasted a 38 feet, 11.5- inch jump to win the event in 2014. A year later, Maus is now eclipsing 40 feet with ease.

“I’m really pumped,” Maus said. “If someone told me I’d be jumping 40 feet today, I probably wouldn’t have believed them. I’m really grateful and amazed that I can make this much progress.”

There is about a month between now and the 2015 NCAA Outdoor Championships, which will also be held at Hayward Field. Maus, who has now won her last two triple jump events, will be looking to go for 42 feet.

Hayden Kim