Twilight Preview: Last home meet for Oregon seniors

Each of their experiences at the University of Oregon was different. But the seniors of Oregon’s track and field program can all agree: nothing will compare to their time representing the Ducks.

In a Q&A session at this week’s TrackTown Tuesday, Oregon seniors Arthur Delaney, Trevor Ferguson and Daniel Winn from the men’s squad, and Lauren Crockett, Katie Porada and Jillian Weir from the women’s team shared memories of their time at Oregon.

“I remember putting on the uniform and taking a picture of me in it on my computer camera,” said Winn. “Just in case they made a mistake or something and wanted it back.”

The athletes are among the seniors competing in Friday’s Oregon Twilight meet, their final regular-season meet at Hayward Field.

While many freshmen redshirt, senior sprinter Delaney began his first outdoor season with Oregon in 2011 as a key member of the sprint and relay teams. Said Delaney, laughing, “They threw me to the wolves.”

Delaney’s quick start got him a spot on Team USA’s 4×100 relay squad for the IAAF Junior World Championships in 2014.

The four-time All-American has reached the NCAA Outdoor Championships every year during his time at Oregon: as a member of the 4×100 team and individually in the 200 meters his freshman year, the 4×100 and 4×400 teams his sophomore year, and the 4×400 and 200 meters last season.

Other Ducks had slower starts but quickly advanced to become contributing members of the team.

Crockett recorded some of her worst jumps in her first outdoor meet with the Ducks in 2011. “I remember thinking, ‘I never want to feel this way. I don’t want to represent my school, myself, this way,’” said the two-time All-American.

Crockett cleared a personal best later in 2011 at the Oregon Twilight meet, and she has qualified for the NCAA Championships in the high jump annually since her freshman year.

And for some, their senior season was the culmination of years of hard work.

After focusing on cross country for most of his college career, Winn infamously gained attention during the 2014-15 indoor track season after breaking the school record in the mile with a time of 3:57.62, only to have the record snatched by Edward Cheserek 90 minutes later. Cheserek finished in 3:56.43.

“Ed and I talked about the fact that my race was before his… I certainly didn’t want to run after Ed,” said Winn. “Having the record for 90 minutes was 90 minutes longer more than I ever planned on having it.”

The other 19 seniors: Colby Alexander, Johnathan Cabral, Casey Campbell, Sam Crouser, Will Geoghegan, Johnny Gregorek, Grant Grosvenor, Russell Hornsby, Eric Jenkins, Dakotah Keys (who won’t be at Twilight—he’s competing at the Pac-12 Multi-Event Championships at UCLA), Jordan Latt, Josh Melu, Tanguy Pepiot, Ron Perkins, Parker Stinson, Cole Watson, Felicia Odle, Chancey Summers and Serena Warner.

Sarah Scrivens