Women’s 400 hurdles: Knoll continues Carroll’s roll

Carroll’s Mallery Knoll came up just .05 second short of her PR in the 400-meter hurdles Saturday at the Oregon Relays.

While Knoll came away with the win in 1:02.80, she may have needed a bit of help pushing the pace.

“I was really hoping to run a better time,” Knoll said. “I thought I was going to PR, hoping that Amelia (Maguin) was going to still be in the race.”

Maguin, a junior at Southern Oregon, owns a 59.07 PR in the event and was scheduled to race in Knoll’s heat, but Maguin decided to back out of the event at the last minute.

“I need to get out of that because I’m always used to having someone to push me at that end,” Knoll said.

After the Pioneer men’s 400-meter relay team ran a solid 42.59 earlier in the day, Knoll’s victory added to Carroll’s productive Saturday at the Oregon Relays.

“All of my other teammates are killing it today,” she said. “I think I got some of their adrenaline and their excitement.”

Corban’s Cecilee Russell finished second in 1:04.08, and Montana’s Erika McLeod finished third in 1:04.83.

— by Josh Schlichter

Josh Schlichter