Women’s 200: Brennan wins first of season

The 200 meters is not a distance at which University of Oregon sprinter Christian Brennan regularly competes.

But in the second day of competition at the Oregon Relays at Hayward Field, Brennan crossed the line first in her first 200-meter race of the season with a time of 23.92.

“I didn’t really even know how to feel about it because it was my first 200 this season so far,” said Brennan. “Just going out there and running a 23, I was really proud of myself.”

Fellow Ducks Ashante Horsley (24.04) and Raevyn Rogers (24.56) finished second and third, respectively.

Brennan said that though she could not have predicted the 1-2-3 finish for Oregon, she is aware with her teammates abilities and was not surprised that they finished as a pack.

“We train together, so we know how fast each other goes,” said Brennan. “When we came off the curve together, I kind of just knew where we would be.”

A member of the 4X400 third-place team at the 2014 NCAA Outdoor Championships, Brennan is familiar and confident with the 400 meters and will compete in both the 400 meters and 4×400 meter relay during Saturday’s competition.

But that does not mean that she would not be open to competing in the 200 meters again in the future.

“A 200 is so much better,” said Brennan with a smile. “Much shorter.”

–by Sarah Scrivens

Sarah Scrivens