Men’s hammer throw: Another day in the office for Skipper

At Hayward Field, the men’s hammer throw often starts and ends with Greg Skipper.

Oregon’s two-time All-American made sure of that on Friday, winning with his top throw of 229-9 (70.03 meters) on his 3rd of 6 attempts.

“I felt really good,” said Skipper. “I think with the consistency that I’ve had over the last two weeks, I’m in a good spot to throw a big one.”

With many of the country’s best athletes competing at the Mt. Sac Relays this weekend, the quality of competition wasn’t nearly as high as it will be at upcoming meets. Skipper was the only Division I competitor in his event. He finished X feet ahead of second-place Darien Moore, who threw 210-4.

“It’s not as great competition-wise, but still Darien threw well today,” said Skipper, who completed five of six throws without fouling. “I try to separate myself as much as I can from whoever is behind me.”

Not only was that goal accomplished from a mental standpoint, but from a physical one as well. All five of his completed throws were better than anyone else’s best throw. His shortest throw went 223-4, 13 feet further than the best throw from second place finisher Darien Moore of Iron Wood TC. Matthew Lloyd, a freshman from Clackamas Community College, finished in 3rd place in the field of eight with a throw of 185-1 (56.43 meters).

This was the second meet that Eugene has hosted this outdoor season, and Skipper had plenty of his own fans watching on from behind the netting, shouting his name before and after rounds.

“It’s awesome. The Hayward magic is definitely here. I’m just excited to throw in front of my family and friends and the home crowd.”

Skipper, who has finished 4th in the hammer throw at the NCAA Championships the past two seasons, was less than two feet away from breaking his PR of 231-6 set at the Pepsi Invitational last year.

— By Preston Hiefield

Preston Hiefield