Ryan W.

Thesis Sentence:

Connecting the edges of society with the forefront of shared economy (AirBnb) to better the livelihood of the homeless population in Portland, Oregon.

Critique’s:

1. Do the voids need to exist for my concept?
    1. I don’t think they do, but so far that was how I thought of integrating spaces throughout the building. At a conceptual level the voids are a strong idea, but when I have taken them to be real spaces/tubes, they lose a lot of meaning. I want to integrate more systems into their use, and look at how materials will make them more interesting/effective.
  2. Can AirBnB do more than just ‘rub shoulders’ with the ground floor tenants by only providing them with a space to use?
    1. I will try to integrate the program more so throughout the building. Nancy had a very cool idea of how the people can use the building through different stages, i.e. ground floor for community center,  2nd-5th floors office space and training spaces for potential employees from drop-in center, housing on the upmost floors (the end goal). I will look at how people can relate from floor to floor, and if something like this already exists.
  3. Will this building work if a new program is later implemented in the future?
    1. At the moment my building is too unique/too catered to my program. I need to make the footprint and floor plans more generalized, but without losing character or losing the concept of integration. I want to look at general retail spaces and see how I can modify them to make a drop-in center function.