Prototype Luminaire.

Luminare4
Luminare2
Luminare1
Luminare3

Through the class I have been interested in how light can bounce and wash over a surface.  As I want my luminaire to depict this property I hope through exploration to discover what materials, shapes, and color will best produce this in a simplistic way.

As I have been working with pattered panels thus far, I first began the prototyping process by looking at my previous work and analyzing it.  Through this process I discovered that the tapered panel with a flat surface allowed a brighter wash over the surface versus a curved surface which gives a softer wash over  the surface.  Taking this information I created a luminaire that angles rectangular pieces so light can wash over the surface and bounce light to its surroundings.

The prototype helped me discover that what I envisioned for the luminaire best happens when it is sitting on a surface versus being suspended in the air. In my next steps I am going to try a material that is somewhat transparent to let soft light come through the luminaire versus the chipboard which did not let any light through.  In addition I  want to try using color on the back of the panels to see how the luminaire can bounce colored light. Also I was not happy with the shape so I might try something more related to how my originals panels are composed.

About Nancy Cheng

Univ. of Oregon Architecture Department head Nancy Yen-wen Cheng, RA, LEED AP researches how design tools and approaches shape outcomes, with a specialization in how craft and computation can stimulate the creative process. She has developed expertise in manipulating sheet materials to create light-modulating structures and has researched how surface relief patterns can increase convective cooling. She has developed fold and slot joints that give structural rigidity to foldable sheet structures and is eager to apply them to rapidly deployable refugee shelters.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.