Test Capture +

This is a solar study of a test model in Revit.

Some highlights from my explorations last week.

The fir paneling is lit directly and still seems to soak up the red.
Landscape lighting has great potential for creating mood.
Light placement can reveal texture...or not.
Downlit Wall Detail

The daylighting solar study gave me the opportunity to refresh on Revit’s tools and settings and also to wrestle with Mac/PC exporting the video in a readable format.  The upside to the digital model is speed and flexibility, but something is lost in the exploration and learning when the computer entered between material, light, hand, and eye.

I think I decided to move toward physical modeling/craft for the final project.  I want to explore the use of a vestibule wall for casting color.  Specifically a wall panel which could have drapery or other color hung and changed as desired.

About Nancy Cheng

Univ. of Oregon Architecture Department head Nancy Yen-wen Cheng, RA, LEED AP researches how design tools and approaches shape outcomes, with a specialization in how craft and computation can stimulate the creative process. She has developed expertise in manipulating sheet materials to create light-modulating structures and has researched how surface relief patterns can increase convective cooling. She has developed fold and slot joints that give structural rigidity to foldable sheet structures and is eager to apply them to rapidly deployable refugee shelters.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.