Where Are The Creeps? 

I feel safe in the sense of getting around by bike but I also feel safe in the sense of personal safety. I feel more comfortable staying out late, walking around or biking around, and just hanging out in public places. On one of my last nights in Eugene, before I left for London, I got some fast food with friends. We sat and ate on the street near campus at 13th and Patterson and I don’t think I’ve felt more paranoid about being attacked or harassed by a stranger. And it happened multiple times while we were just sitting there hanging out at like 10pm. Meanwhile, hanging out in public spaces until like 3am is a normal and totally safe thing to do here. There are places to rest and hang out with friends everywhere you go. I think because there are so many people out and about, I feel safe. Also worthy of note, I haven’t seen a single unhoused or unruly person yet. I haven’t been harassed or sneered at. Even in Christiania late one night, I felt more comfortable than anytime I’ve been in downtown Eugene. I went back and explored the community during the day and walked all around peacefully and independently. Everyone is doing their own thing and seems to want to go about their lives peacefully and with respect towards others. 

Below are some pictures I took of the Freetown Christiania while exploring the area.