“Crown of Immortality”

Published on: Author: eef@uoregon.edu 155 Comments

“Through endurance he overcame the unjust ruler and thus received the crown of immortality.”(Martyrdom of Polycarp, 19:2) This conclusion to the suffering and eventual death of Polycarp at the hands of persecuting Romans, illustrates perfectly the Christian perspective on the death of a martyr. To “endure” is glorified as a value in Roman culture, and specifically to endure suffering, as Jesus demonstrated, shows great esteem and faith. The imagery added in this brief passage referencing a crown is also reminiscent of Jesus’ crown of thorns. Again the author takes something we would associate with pain and equates it with Godliness: “thorns of immortality”. Polycarp was not the only martyr in these readings to die in a similar glorified fashion as Jesus. The death of young Blandina in “The Letter of the Churches of Lyons and Vienne”, mimicked the serenity found in death and torture of Jesus on the cross in the crucifixion story of Luke in which Jesus, unlike the Gospel of Mark, before dying remains steadfast in faith, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” (Lk. 23:46) When Blandina is subjected to a multitude of horrendous tortures that leave her body weak and mangled and her own torturers beaten from exhaustion she “grew in strength as she proclaimed her faith, and found refreshment, rest and insensibility in her suffering…”(Ehrman, 136). From the depths of weakness she again proclaims her faith. This horror continues for the young female martyr as she is brought into the arena and suspended in Christ like fashion for beasts to eat away at her, but she does not die. Displayed within her demonstration of fearlessness was “the One who was crucified for them” (Ehrman, 138) Similarly to Thecla, this female heroin goes untouched by the beasts an her continued life a metaphor for the immortality that God brings for those who believe in salvation through Jesus Christ. These arena sized spectacles gained favor because the Christians were a threat to arena sized numbers. Pagan Romans believed their Gods upheld Pax Deorum, and their sacrifices to those Gods, in civic and household realms, upheld good relations. When weather changed, or unrest broke out, the non-practicing Christians were an obvious target for not keeping the peace; not only for their unwillingness to pronounce the greatness of the Emperor, but for their determination to proselytize and missionize to the majority who themselves practiced pluralism and tolerance. By not worshipping the gods that maintained peace the Pagans “blamed the atheist Christians for natural disasters.” (Lynch, 81) A way to forcefully create Peace then in the Empire was through the elimination of this threatening minority. By creating a spectacle out if it, they were killing two birds with one stone; killing Christians, and converting Christians back to Emperor worshipping Pagans.

155 Responses to “Crown of Immortality” Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. I was looking for another article by chance and found your article majorsite I am writing on this topic, so I think it will help a lot. I leave my blog address below. Please visit once.

2. Usually I do not read post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, very nice post

스포츠토토존

3. My friend, you are so good at writing. It seems like a very lucky person to see such a good writing on a good day and in good weather. I hope you will continue to write good things for me

카라사이트

4. Thanks for sharing such great information, the post you published have some great information which is quite beneficial for me. I highly appreciate your work abilities.

토토사이트

5. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill
    스포츠토토존

6. I came to this site with the introduction of a friend around me and I was very impressed when I found your writing. I’ll come back often after bookmarking! baccaratsite

7. Hi there to every body, it’s my first pay a quick visit of this weblog; this weblog contains amazing and genuinely excellent stuff in support of visitors.
    카지노

8. I had just recently started hunting for Technology Website After six hours of nonstop Google searching, I eventually found it on your website. I’m curious as to why Google doesn’t place this kind of educational websites at the top of the list. Typically, the most popular websites are crammed with junk.

9. Excellent information Providing by your Article, thank you for taking the time to share with us such a nice article. Amazing insight you have on this, it’s nice to find a website that details so much information about different subjects.Kindly visit we providing the Open Book Exam

10. The imagery of thorns, reminiscent of Jesus’ crown of thorns, adds a layer of symbolism connecting the suffering of martyrs with the sacrificial death of Jesus. mapquest

11. I am an administrator from the nytimes crossword gaming website, and I want to thank you very much for sharing so much good and helpful information with you. Please keep it up, and I will always be there for you.

12. Hello! It’s truly enjoyable to communicate with you here. Your shared thoughts are interesting and thought-provoking.
    Reading this information from different perspectives is a pleasure for me.
    I would always like to follow your meaningful and positive contributions. Have a great day!
    Haartransplantatie

13. When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox now if a comment is added I get four emails sticking with the same comment. Is there however you can eliminate me from that service? Thanks! ซีรี่ย์จีน

14. The comparison between the suffering and deaths of Polycarp, Among Us Blandina, and Jesus serves to highlight the Christian belief in the redemptive power of suffering and martyrdom.

15. Fascinating theme for a blog. I have been scanning the Web for the sake of entertainment and happened upon your site. Astounding post. Much obliged a ton for sharing your insight! It is perfect to see that certain individuals actually set forth some energy into dealing with their sites. I’ll make certain to return again genuine soon. coloksgp

16. Extraordinary post however I was contemplating whether you could compose somewhat more regarding this matter? I’d be extremely grateful if you would expound somewhat further. Much obliged ahead of time! Voxel Theme

17. We have sell a few results of various custom boxes.it is exceptionally helpful and extremely low cost please visits this site thanks and if it’s not too much trouble, share this post with your companions. https://rabeez.com/

18. We have sell a few results of various custom boxes.it is exceptionally helpful and extremely low cost please visits this site thanks and if it’s not too much trouble, share this post with your companions. Digital campaign ideas

19. I would also love to add that when you do not currently have an insurance policy or maybe you do not take part in any group insurance, you might well make use of seeking the aid of a health insurance broker. Self-employed or people who have medical conditions generally seek the help of any health insurance broker. Thanks for your blog post. abonnement iptv

20. At the point when you utilize a veritable help, you will actually want to give guidelines, share materials and pick the designing style. Ligalexus

21. I’m impressed, I have to admit. Genuinely rarely should i encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you’ve got hit the nail for the head. Your thought is outstanding; the problem is a thing that there are not enough everyone is speaking intelligently about. My business is happy i found this in my hunt for some thing regarding this. NSFW AI Girlfriend

22. Much obliged to you for another educational site. The spot else may just I get that sort of data written in such an ideal strategy? I have an endeavor that I am essentially now running on, and I’ve been at the look out for such data. lentoria condo floor plan

23. An impressive share, I simply with all this onto a colleague who had previously been performing a small analysis within this. And hubby actually bought me breakfast since I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I’m strongly about it and adore reading more on this topic. If it is possible, as you become expertise, does one mind updating your blog site with increased details? It is actually highly helpful for me. Huge thumb up because of this short article! acim lesson 1

24. Gratitude for sharing this significant substance. In my view, on the off chance that all website admins and bloggers made great substance as you did, the web will be significantly more helpful than any time in recent memory. qqslot77

25. Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my web site so i came to “return the prefer”.I’m attempting to to find things to improve my web site!I guess its adequate to use a few of your ideas!! alpha tonic review

26. Oh my! an incredible article man. Thanks a lot Unfortunately I am experiencing issues with ur rss . Don’t know why I am struggling to subscribe it. Perhaps there is somebody getting identical rss issues? Anyone who can help kindly respond. Appreciate it raja999

27. This is somewhat of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Skrota bilen Kungälv

28. 가장 대표적인 온라인카지노입니다. 바카라와 블랙잭, 포커 등의 카드 게임은 물론, 슬롯과 룰렛 등 오프라인 카지노에서 제공하는 모든 게임을 온라인 게임 형태로 제공합니다.

29. It was contemplating whether I could utilize this review on my other site, I will connect it back to your site though.Great Much appreciated. gelora188

30. Thanks for making the honest attempt to speak about this. I believe very robust approximately it and want to read more. If it’s OK, as you gain more in depth wisdom, would you thoughts adding extra articles similar to this one with additional information? It might be extremely useful and useful for me and my friends. indo911 link alternatif

31. Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thank you um curso em milagres

32. There are some attention-grabbing time limits on this write-up but I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There may possibly be some validity but I will consider maintain viewpoint until I look into it additional. Great article , thanks and we want additional! Added to FeedBurner at the same time. um curso em milagres

33. Oh my goodness! a wonderful post dude. Thanks Nevertheless I will be experiencing trouble with ur rss . Don’t know why Struggle to sign up to it. Perhaps there is anybody obtaining identical rss issue? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx um curso em milagres

34. I’m truly cherishing the subject/plan of your site. At any point do you run into any program similarity issues? A couple of my blog perusers have whined about my site not working accurately in Pioneer but rather looks perfect in Chrome. Do you have any tips to assist with fixing this issue? Growth Matrix

35. You can certainly see your expertise within the work you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart. agen judi bola sbobet88

36. Thanks for making the honest attempt to speak about this. I believe very robust approximately it and want to read more. If it’s OK, as you gain more in depth wisdom, would you thoughts adding extra articles similar to this one with additional information? It might be extremely useful and useful for me and my friends. Fmovies

37. The article looks magnificent, but it would be beneficial if you can share more about the suchlike subjects in the future. Keep posting. acim

38. In the dynamic landscape of science and engineering, the pursuit of innovation is relentless. From the microscopic realms of nanotechnology to the grand challenges of space exploration, researchers and engineers continually push the boundaries of what is possible. slot gacor gampang menang

39. Oh my! an incredible article man. Thanks a lot Unfortunately I am experiencing issues with ur rss . Don’t know why I am struggling to subscribe it. Perhaps there is somebody getting identical rss issues? Anyone who can help kindly respond. Appreciate it قیمت پرینتر اچ پی

40. I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks… acim app

41. Hi! I ran across your site accidentally today, but am really pleased that people did! Its not only entertaining, but additionally straightforward to make use of compared with lots that Ive viewed! labtoto

42. I’m impressed, I have to say. Really hardly ever do I encounter a weblog that’s each educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you’ve gotten hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the difficulty is one thing that not enough individuals are speaking intelligently about. I’m very completely satisfied that I stumbled throughout this in my search for one thing relating to this. bonekslot

43. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it! bonekslot

44. What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & assist other customers like its aided me. Great job. sdtoto

45. Splendid post. We learn brand new stuff upon various blogs daily. Couple of revitalizing to determine content material using their company writers as well as grow to be familiar having a little some thing their own certain. I’d believe to make use of a few inside the information on my blog need to don’t mind. Normally I’ll provides a link back up in internet internet site. Thanks sharing. 총판구인구직

46. Alexistogel merupakan situs togel dan slot online terbesar yang menyediakan berbagai pasaran togel & ribuan game slot yang bisa kamu mainkan dengan 1 akun saja. link alexistogel

47. Alexistogel merupakan bandar togel online yang sangat terpercaya dan sudah memiliki ribuan member aktif yang bermain togel online dengan pasaran paling lengkap. togel online

48. Can I just now say exactly what a relief to uncover a person that truly knows what theyre discussing on-line. You actually discover how to bring a problem to light and work out it critical. The diet need to see this and can see this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more well-liked as you absolutely provide the gift. 日語課程

49. Today, taking into consideration the fast life style that everyone is having, credit cards get this amazing demand throughout the economy. Persons coming from every area are using the credit card and people who are not using the credit card have made up their minds to apply for even one. Thanks for sharing your ideas on credit cards. hongtogel

50. Splendid post. I discover new things upon different weblogs daily. Couple of stimulating to see content using their company authors and turn out to be acquainted with a small something their particular. I’d think to use some inside the information on my blog need to do not thoughts. Obviously I’ll provides a link back up in internet site. Thank you sharing. fyp 代做

51. Hey there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to check it out. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Superb blog and wonderful design. 外籍老師

52. Most advantageous men toasts must enliven while giving pay tribute to with your happy couple. First time speakers while in front of excessive throngs must always acknowledge the actual crucial law involved with presentation, which is your particular person. best man’s speech crime rate in surrey bc

53. I must say this information was very interesting. I stumbled onto you using a google search and was rather thankful for your rank for this article. Funguy`

54. The article looks magnificent, but it would be beneficial if you can share more about the suchlike subjects in the future. Keep posting. olxtoto

55. Greffe de Cheveux Percutanée : Les follicules pileux sont transplantés à l’aide d’une aiguille. Cette méthode, étant minimalement invasive et offrant des temps de guérison rapides, peut être préférée.
    Greffe de Cheveux istanbul