We believe that the best research happens when people with different perspectives and backgrounds work together as they wrestle with complex questions, exciting & mysterious results, and mountains of data.
As part of our effort to cultivate a diverse research community, we bring a small group of future scientists from underrepresented populations to meet with our faculty and students.
The University of Oregon is home to a thriving science community that will soon break ground on an exciting new addition: the Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact. This really is an amazing time to join the Biology program at UO (and you’ll have the added benefit of living in beautiful Eugene, Oregon!). Read through the research profiles and picture yourself as the next addition to one of these research groups. If you want to learn more about how to make that mental picture a reality, review the information below and apply to Preview Oregon before August 25, 2017.
- Network and find out if our program is right for you
- Meet faculty in your area of interest (and maybe even find new areas of interest!)
- Visit with current students
- Tour facilities
- Get detailed information about the program and learn how to submit your strongest application
You’re eligible to apply for Preview Oregon if you…
- will be applying to PhD programs with the intention of starting a program Fall 2018.
- already have some research experience.
- are a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- are available all day October 26-28 (this includes travel time) — sorry, no late arrivals or early departures.
- are willing to interact — Preview Oregon participants will not just sit through presentations, so be ready to talk to people!
- Preference will be given to members of underrepresented groups in STEM fields (African American or Black, American Indian, Alaska Native, Latina/o, Hispanic, Chicana/o or Mexican American, and Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander).
- Transportation (arranged by us)
- Hotel accommodations (booked by us)
- Meals during the event
- Graduate Application Fee (if you complete the UO Biology PhD Program application this fall)
How to Apply
- Application deadline is August 25, 2017 (all materials must be received by 5:00 PM Pacific time)
- Submit the following by email:
- Application Form – open in Adobe Reader (not Preview!) so you can save it
- Unofficial transcripts
- One recommendation letter
- Email materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recommendation letter must be emailed directly from the letter writer (not the applicant!)
- Follow all instructions (included on first page of the application form).
- Ask for a recommendation letter now (it must also be received by August 25).
- Don’t wait until the last day to submit your materials, if at all possible.
- Though a campus visit will help you decide if you would like to be part of our program, you should read the information about our program, institutes, and labs before completing the application (see links on the right). You will need to select the labs you are most interested in and explain why our program might be a good fit for you. Explore these websites so you can submit a strong application.
What happens after August 25?
- Applications will be reviewed by faculty starting on August 26.
- Selected students will be notified by September 26.
- Travel arrangements will be made in late September.
- Students arrive in Eugene on October 26.
- Everyone stays at the Phoenix Inn (right on the edge of campus!).
- Fun stuff happens October 26-28.
- Students depart Eugene on October 28.
Questions? Contact Jessica!
Graduate Program Manager
Department of Biology
One more thing…
Unfortunately, we will not be able to bring all talented and deserving applicants to this event. We hope that even if you do not attend Preview Oregon, you will consider applying to the PhD program. Jessica, our program manager, is happy to answer any questions you have about the program, labs, campus, Eugene, and the application process. The application for our PhD program is open from September 1 through December 1. Applicants selected for an interview will be invited to attend a recruitment event in February 2018.