William Penix

Windforwings playing BOTB

Windforwings playing BOTB

Wie geht’s? My name is William Penix and I am a senior majoring in Film & Media Studies at the College. What drew me to the class was my experience with the Japanese Cinema class, and I was excited by the prospect of learning about the cultural context for Japanese film and film in Japan. Among my favorites in the Japanese Cinema class were “Rashomon,” “Harakiri,” and “Branded to Kill.” I love reading film theory, watching all sorts of films, analyzing them, but mostly writing about them. Whether it is writing film reviews for The Flat Hat’s Reel Talk blog or writing a research paper about “The Cabin in the Woods” and its relationship with modern surveillance, writing is something I enjoy the most. I have interned for German film production company Constantin Film, was an editor for the Galway documentary that premiered at this past Global Film Festival, and served on the Public Relations committee for the festival, as well. Additionally, I enjoy theater, dance, and especially music. For the first 2 1/2 years of being at the College, I was involved in an avant-garde metal band called The Funeral Games as the lead vocalist. Currently, I am the lead vocalist/lyricist for a melodic hardcore punk band called Windforwings. At the present moment, it seems like Windforwings will be my last musical endeavor, so it’s time to go out with a bang. In my spare time, you can find me obsessively reading about and watching matches for my favorite European football clubs: Werder Bremen, Chelsea, Olympique de Marseille, and Celtic.