OFN is thrilled to accept a $47,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Arts to support Oregon’s Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Program (TAAP) and other statewide initiatives that promote folk and traditional arts. Additional funding from the Oregon Arts Commission and the Oregon Historical Society make it possible for us to support TAAP to the extent that we do.
The five 2020 Oregon master traditional artists are mentoring experienced apprentices from their own culture groups and Tribes.
Meet Oregon’s 2020 TAAP awardees.
- Hossein Salehi is teaching apprentice Alireza Talebannejad to play the Persian santoor.
- Josue Noel Napoles Mendoza is teaching Mexican charrería (trick-roping) to Columbia Napoles Mendoza
- Miguel Angel Ruiz Rangel is teaching Mexican talabartería (leather work) to Antonio Huerta
- H’Klumaiyat-Roberta Joy Kirk is teaching Longhouse/Plateau sewing and beadworking to Maria Godines
- Celeste Whitewolf is teaching Cayuse/Nez Perce/Umatilla weaving and gathering to Brosnan Spencer
All will be mentoring apprentices from their own culture groups and Tribes in the traditional forms noted.
OFN is now accepting applications for next year’s Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Program (Due Oct 1, 2020 for projects in 2021). TAAP offers folk and traditional master artists and culture keepers a $3,500 stipend to teach their art form to apprentices from their own communities, Tribes, religious or occupational groups. This stipend supports master artists to share their knowledge, skills and expertise with apprentices of great promise who will be empowered to carry on and strengthen Oregon’s living cultural traditions.
We encourage applications from Oregonians practicing cultural traditions emerging from their own heritage or Tribes. This program does not fund historic reenactments or cultural appropriation.
To learn more about application procedures and eligibility or to recommend a TAAP applicant, visit ofn.uoregon.edu, email email@example.com, or call 541-346-3820. Our staff members are standing by to provide application advice and will provide feedback on draft applications sent prior to submission.