Creative Display 1 Feedback (Journal 11)

I was one of the last people to present my creative display to the class, which meant I could assess what people did well and not so well during their presentations. Going into these presentations, I felt I was going to have one of the least prepared creative displays, simply because I had done everything I could have minus my data. However, I was surprised to find out that in my opinion, I had one of the most specific and thought out ideas in the class.

A brief summary of my project: I want to combined Daniel Miller’s “Contained”, CabSpotting, and the University of Oregon campus to show the flow of students throughout campus through an interactive 3D-printed model.

Contained, by Daniel Miller

Contained, by Daniel Miller

CabSpotting, by Scott Snibbe

CabSpotting, by Scott Snibbe

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 2.51.56 PM

University of Oregon campus

What people liked about my project proposal was that it will be interactive, is relatable to every University of Oregon student, and is using interesting and new technology (3D printing) that we have learned about class

What people criticized about my project was that it was too “complex” of an idea (whatever that means), I was looking at too big of an area, and I was going to have a hard time collecting significant data.

During my presentation, I explained my project, and how I wanted to track the flow of students on the whole campus. Many people asked, “How will you collect data?”, or “How will your model be interactive?” While those are valid questions that I still need to answer, I didn’t find them to be all that progressive in helping me make my project better. Some of the suggestions that I really liked were:

• Do a time lapse on the busy spots of campus
  • Put pressure pads around campus to track the flow of students
  • Refine your area of focus (campus is BIG!)
  • Record data from a sample group
  • Pick a specific time of day with the most significant results
  • Add weather in the model to make it interactive

I liked these suggestions because they were specific and related directly to my project, as opposed to just being open ended questions/criticisms that didn’t further my progress in creating my project to the best of my abilities. I think that the three aspects of my project that could possibly threaten the best possible outcome are resources, technology, and time. Finding the right resources will be a challenge, but I’m confident that I will get them. Regarding technology, I may not be able to gather the right tools to make my project look how I want it to. If I’m not proactive about making my project happen, week 10 will sneak up on me quickly. All of these are possible setbacks, but if I put my mind to it, I know I will succeed.