Artists that Interest me (Journal 2)

Some artists that interest me:

• Horst Hörtner, who set a new world record in 2012 by having the most drones airborne simultaneously. He extends the science behind the technology of electronic drones by having them make beautiful formations in the air, which can be seen as art. A recap of the prject can be found Here. I really admire Hörtner’s drive to be the first person to have that many drones in the air at the same time. In the video, he says that no one has even tried flying that many, which shows his courageousness and spontaneousness to do something awesome.
Drone 100, by Hort

Drone 100, by Horst Hörtner

• Chico MacMurtrie, who built Organograph,  a 75 foot tall sculpture in San Jose, California that represents “the intangible mechanisms that govern the earth’s carbon cycle and displays how humans are changing that cycle, causing the planet to warm”. A video can be found Here, with a visual below:

Organograph in San Jose, CA

Organograph in San Jose, CA

• Carol LaFayette, who uses digital technology to explore what nature has given us. In her 2011 project titled Snakecam, she secures a camera on her right wrist connected to a DVD monitor on her left wrist, and sticks her left wrist down hollowed-out tree stumps in the forrest. Although this is freaky to me because I wouldn’t like a bug crawling on my arm, I think her work is really cool and I want to learn more about it. The Snakecam video can be found Here.
Snakecam, by Carol LaFayette

Snakecam, by Carol LaFayette

All of these artists interest and inspire me a lot, and I can’t wait to do some more research on them and their work!