1925 – 1929 (at least)
Both the location and the number of seats of this theater is unknown. Because there was also a theater in Portland named the Heilig, finding information for the one in Salem is difficult.
Additionally, the Heilig Theater was also know as the Grand Theater at one point.
The Heilig Theater was owned by George Guthrie, then he sold it to the Salem Amusement Company. It was sold back to Guthrie in 1926.
Guthrie is also the owner of the Elsinore Theater; along with a variety of other theaters.
Additionally, the theater was also owned by Archie Holt, J.C Heilig, Charles McKee and William Pangle before being sold back to Guthrie.
George Guthrie owned a lot of theaters throughout the Pacific Northwest.
There’s a lot of information about the program on a lot of the advertisements for the Heilig Theater.
Overall, it includes the basics of the program name, prices, location, and an image.
While in operation the Heilig Theater mainly showed films, live performances, and plays.
Here is an article about a program being shown at the Heilig Theater. The theater showed popular programs of all genres.
This article also suggests the Heilig Theater was not one of the main theaters in Salem. “Abie’s Irish Rose” had been performed for four years before it was finally being shown at the Heilig. The location of Salem could have attributed to this as well.
- Statesman Journal, October 25, 1925: 1
- Daily Capitol Journal, October 6, 1925: 7
- Statesman Journal, June 2, 1926: 6
- Daily Capitol Journal, June 1, 1926: 9