Sherry’s (La Grande)

Sherry’s Theatre


1106 Adams Ave La Grande, OR 97850

Sherry’s Theatre (1921)

Sanborn Map:

1106 Adams Ave., 1923. Digital Sanborn Maps

Number of seats: 400

Managers and Owners: B. M. Sherwood, Mrs. Murphy, Mrs. Swaney, Mr. George, Manager Trull


  • The building was constructed around 1910. Originally, the building included three storefronts on the first floor, a gym at the rear of the first floor and a second floor club room for the Moose Lodge. In 1912, the ground floor tenant spaces were remodeled as the building was to house a movie theatre known as The Isis Movie Theatre. That same year, in May, the Isis was renamed “Sherry’s”, while retaining its manager, B.M. Sherwood. 
  • Built for opera, vaudeville, and theatrical performances, the theatre is composed for large scale premiers. There are loge seats (box seats) for the elite customers willing to pay 20 cents rather than 10 cents for typical admission.

Programming notes:

  • “Call Of The Wild” (1923-4): Call of the Wild, a film adapted off the famous book about Buck, a dog that goes from being domestically loved to poorly treated as a sled dog. The film received wild reviews afterwards as well as intervals of claps throughout the picture. It showed Friday, March 1924 at Sherry’s Theatre.
  • “The Virginian” (1923-4): This is a wild one. Not only did it receive great reviews in theatres, the stories about what happened during production are rather exciting: Kenneth Harlan (actor), accidentally shot himself in the leg during a duel scene. Florence Vidor as “Molly Wood” fell off her stage coach after a horse had an accident. Once the news got out of the hectic filming of the film, it was a must watch for moviegoers in La Grande

Promotional strategies notes: 

  • Consistently described as the House of Comfort
  • Power words used often like: Exclusive, Quality Pictures Only, Foremost Stars of Screen And Stage
  • “Next door to the Liberty Theatre”


Sample news clips, advertisements:

Citation needed                                                                                           Citation needed

La Grande Evening Observer, June 12 1912: 5.
La Grande Evening Observer. June 14 1926: 7.




La Grande Evening Observer. 14 March 1924: 7.

La Grande Evening Observer. 14 March 1927: 8.

La Grande Evening Observer. 01 May 1912: 5.