Isis (La Grande)

Isis Theatre

1911-1912

1106 Adams Ave La Grande, OR 97850

The Isis Theatre

 


Sanborn map:

1106 Adams Ave., 1923. Digital Sanborn Maps

Owners/Managers: B.M. Sherwood

Programming and Promotions:

La Grande Evening Observer, 29 Jan. 1912, p. 3
La Grande Evening Observer, 22 Dec. 1911, p. 7

In some of the first newspaper advertisements, the Isis theatre began advertising for a program, Vanity Fair, which was three reels long and played for only two days. The theatre also promoted the fact that it had live music from Charles King (music director) as well as an “extraordinary solo” to go with the program. Starting in February, the Isis started promoting that they would carry four reels, or “4000 feet of the best film made.”

La Grande Evening Observer, 25 March 1912, p. 5

Beside each film that was listed, they named the company that had created the film. With every showing, the Isis always had an illustrated song to go with the programming. The Isis did try to get involved in the community by holding a showing for the boys of La Grande. Multiple ads were put in the newspaper to promote this showing. The Isis was only around for two years, and near the end of it’s two years, it moved locations and let readers know that it would be changing names. The Isis theatre became Sherry’s Theatre, owned by B.M Sherwood still.

 

La Grande Evening Observer, 11 May 1912, p. 5

 

La Grande Evening Observer, 11 May 1912, p. 1

 

 


Citations