RSS Feed

Eckerson Week 5: Puppy Love Story

February 4, 2014 by amandae@uoregon.edu   

Seeing as last week marked the high water point for 30 second stories in the form of Super Bowl commercials, I decided to share  the “favorite” ad according to most outlets.  It’s the story of a puppy who falls in love with a horse, and refuses to leave.  It’s ultimately a story about both their owners finding love by having their animals bring them together. It’s entirely hokey, but it is remarkable that in exactly one minute and one second, we learn this entire story…without words.  In fact, that might be why it feels like such a holistic piece, because we’re watching it visually, not having to wait for the words to make sense. How this in anyway makes us want to buy Budweiser, I have no idea –which I think is also a legitimate question.  That said, note how the visuals tell the story of two people’s lives in such a short amount of time.

1 Comment »

1. bjh@uoregon.edu says:

This can be the power of advertisements. Without words I have been told a story that resonates with me, and now because of that I will remember the Budwiser brand more so than being force fed the same commercials about going out and partying that all of the other beer ads seem to be. What I always find interesting about Budwiser is how they brand their two big beers, Bud and Bud Light. Earlier in the night they had a Bud Light commercial with hidden cameras that was all about partying and going out and “having a good time”. But Budwiser has these more heartwarming and memorable commercials. It’s just interesting it’s basically the same exact product but the differences in branding are remarkable.