RSS Feed

A view from above

February 3, 2014 by emcdona2@uoregon.edu   

Pipeline Winter 2013 from Eric Sterman on Vimeo.

With access to more gear this term, I’ve been thinking about the options that different equipment can provide. Here is an example of a new perspective we can gain with the help of fun gear! While it might seem kind of predictable, this piece gave me the chills. It may be that I’m a bit of a softy for ocean imagery but I thought the filmmaker utilized fancy tools with a distinct and effective purpose, creating a striking final piece.

Some choices by the filmmaker that struck me were, angle of the film, the soundtrack and the manipulation of speed. The angle of the footage was achieved with help from a quadrocopter, equipped with a GoPro, which I though was an effective chose as it highlights the immensity of the ocean and made it possible to capture people being flung by waves. Thus, highlighting the beauty as well a the danger of the sport. I also really enjoyed the soundtrack, which matched well with the imagery and was a great pacer for the film. Lastly, I thought that the use of both slow motion and increasing the speed of the film was well timed, well placed and well executed.

»