RSS Feed

WinterWeek1_SummerHatfield

January 11, 2014 by summerh@uoregon.edu   

Drummer Wanted : Dean Zimmer from rossangeles on Vimeo.

This video is great for several reasons. First and foremost is that it is about a really compelling, amazing character named Dean Zimmer. I love this guy! This video is not a story in the narrative sense, it is more of a profile piece. But it holds my attention regardless just because I want to know more about Dean. He is a true inspiration.

I think the filmmakers did a good job of capturing Dean’s passion and intensity with the slow-mo jam out scene, where they matched action from many different angles of Dean as he played the drums.

Usually I don’t like to be able to hear the interviewer’s voice, but in this video it didn’t really bother me. I think because the interview didn’t seem super formal, it felt like I was just listening to someone’s conversation.

3 Comments »

1. jarrattt@uoregon.edu says:

The arc I see in here is that he starts out kinda on his own setting up his drums and playing possible for the filmmakers. The middle kinda takes us through his past where we hear about who he once played with. Then, in the end we see him in a recording studio with a guy that currently plays for Ringo Starr. I am not sure if it is a paying gig that his doing, but he is kinda validated and legitimized by someone who is currently making a living as a drummer.

2. bjh@uoregon.edu says:

I”m with you Summer I’m not a fan of hearing the filmmaker’s voice all of the time. As far as I’m concerned if you are putting yourself into your film you should have a darn good reason, and yeah it felt like listening into a normal conversation here, but I don’t know if it was really needed. Anything that was said after the interviewers question could have easily been inferred by the viewer by how Dean answered.

3. lpaters5@uoregon.edu says:

This guy rocks, literally and figuratively. I agree that the narrator’s voice doesn’t interfere too much, and I think that’s because there isn’t much of a need for one since the subject is pretty good at explaining what the storyteller wants us to hear. It’s nice too to get the pauses with the music to kind of soak in the character and his amazing musical ability – a part of journalistic storytelling that I’m starting to see is very valuable…Give the audience time to breathe.