RSS Feed

Come on down to Caine’s Arcade

November 20, 2013 by bjh@uoregon.edu   

Caine’s Arcade from Nirvan Mullick on Vimeo.

This week for my inspiration I chose Caine’s Arcade which is about a boy who built his own arcade out of cardboard in his father’s auto shop.  I love this video for many reasons, first off it shows the power of the internet and how it can be used to raise the attention of something no matter how small it may be and raise its level to something even great.

It also helps that Caine’s story is heartwarming as well, he wanted to do something, like build his own arcade, so he went and did it.  He showed awesome levels of creativity and drive, something that I think a lot of us, I know I have moments like that, could be inspired from.  Sure he only had one customer but that never deterred Caine from continuing on.

But I really do love this film for its technical aspects as well.  It uses several different methods that we have discussed in class.  Like at the beginning of the film with the focus in and out and some of the games with the army men, or the basketball hoop.  At 1:17 there is an awesome pan shot around the tree that Caine is swinging on.  With the sit down interviews I like how when it was a subject that they were looking off to the side at the filmmaker, but when the filmmaker himself comes on screen he is looking directly at the camera, an interesting style choice that helps show that the subjects are dofferent from him.  Finally I have to say the decision to cut the music at 7:50 when Caine is coming up to the arcade so that we can hear the crowd was a great decision and added just that much more emotion to the whole scene.

»