RSS Feed

The POV of a Paralyzed Person

October 31, 2013 by oaldakhe@uoregon.edu   

Hey guys! I don’t know how many of you saw “The diving Bell and the Butterfly”, but it’s the best foreign film you can ever watch! There are many artistic choices in this movie. The main one is showing us the POV of the subject who’s is a completely paralyzed person except for his left eye. Now, i don’t know how the director managed to do this technique perfectly, but may be one of you knows and lets us know! (Hint: Jarratt!)

2 Comments »

1. lpaters5@uoregon.edu says:

Really creative, especially because we get to hear his thoughts! If you like this you should check out “Peep Show.” Really funny British show that uses POV shots as well as inner dialogue.

2. jarrattt@uoregon.edu says:

Yeah I loved this movie so much! Basically everything by Julian Schnabel is amazing. I can’t tell you how many times I have watched Basquiat! Anyway, I don’t know if it is the only technique they used to achieve the shots in this movie, but one of the things they did is called “tilt shifting.” You really see it used a lot with DSLR cameras because I think you can use a lens that makes it more possible. A lot of those videos that look like miniatures are using the effect. This video shows the effect: https://vimeo.com/2482776. I actually don’t know how it works exactly but I think it just involves putting on a swing or a tilt lens.