RSS Feed

Great story without words_Summer Hatfield

October 24, 2013 by summerh@uoregon.edu   

My inspiration this week comes from a commercial for Captain Morgan. What I love about this commercial is that it tells such a great story in only a minute, and no one ever says a word. Well, except the guy at the end who gives the Captain Morgan tag line. Not only does the Captain save the servant girls life, but he also turns it into a crazy fun time for all these stuffy people, and we are witness to all of it just through the narrative. The first scene sets it all up, and then the eye contact really tells us everything. I think it teaches us that if you can catch little things like that on camera, the eye contact and movement, the little gestures, then it can really add a lot to your video, whether its a fictional scene or a documentary.  It also has some nice sequences, great lighting, and a cool shot where one of the glasses hits the camera. The casting, costumes, make-up, and set design also really work in this piece.

2 Comments »

1. jarrattt@uoregon.edu says:

Yes! This really highlights the rule pertaining to sequences that Wes mentioned last night which is always go back to the face. I definitely find that the more footage I have of a face the safer I feel because I know that I have a shot that will let me switch up the action and hopefully convey the emotion related to that action.

2. lpaters5@uoregon.edu says:

Yeah, absolutely, face shots are such a must! You can capture so much emotion just by focusing on someone’s eyes, and I think this piece really helps showcase that. I love that shot at the end with all the plates flying up…So rad!