RSS Feed

Sigur Ros music video

October 23, 2013 by awoodard@uoregon.edu   

The dance fan in me loves this video so, so much. It’s a music video, but evidently the choreographer, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, is a bid deal in the contemporary dance world. What strikes me is how closely he must have worked with the director, Christian Larson, on film decisions: there are moments where the video is sped up and slowed down, and this could only have been intentional from the outset since the music was pre-recorded and all the movements stay on its beat. With that and things like quick cuts from different angles, the camera isn’t just filming a dance, but helping to create it. I would love to have sat in on their planning sessions…it’s so well crafted! Also love the bleak colors.

Sigur Rós – Valtari from Sigur Rós Valtari Mystery Films on Vimeo.

2 Comments »

1. lpaters5@uoregon.edu says:

Sigur Ros is one of my favorite bands ever, and these film shorts they commissioned from industry experts were each unique and special in their own way. The non-traditional instruments and ambient sounds used in their music leave so much room for artistic interpretation that it’s amazing to see what people can imagine.

2. kblack7@uoregon.edu says:

I have stumbled upon this video a few times and it is more and more amazing everytime I watch it. Not only is the choreography amazing but the use of dolly shots and (I’m assuming a job or a crane) cinematic movements were what made this video so incredible.