Nature in Cycling and City Planning

After spending a month in Denmark and the Netherlands, I had many takeaways from their amazing cycling infrastructure and culture. From bike lanes to bike to train to health and happiness to traffic calming to bridges, there was endless things to learn from the Danish and Dutch! However, as an environmental studies and biology student, the incorporation of nature into city and cycling planning and the focus on green-space in the cities I visited within these two countries was extremely eye-opening. Though I spend lots of my time enjoying nature and green-space because I love it, I felt surprised by the fact that city planners incorporated the environment and nature into infrastructure for everyone to enjoy. I think there is a lot for the U.S. to learn from this mindfulness in city planning. I chose this topic because I learned so much as a cyclist in these countries, not only about the infrastructure and planning, but about myself.

For my official final project, I split my observations into four categories: small cities in Denmark, big cities in Denmark, small cities in the Netherlands, and big cities in the Netherlands. For the sake of keeping this post brief, I will detail a few of the highlights in my observations. In the bigger cities, I noticed an effort to create pleasant paths that incorporate nature and the environment which allows for cycling to always be the more pleasant commuting option. These larger cities create options in their cycling network, though they may create a 5 minute longer ride or commute, but give cyclists the ability to enjoy their environment and city. Both countries also do an astounding job of creating a network connecting those who live in the city into green spaces outside of the city. I was able to explore a vast recreational cycling network during my time in Denmark, for example. There is also great investment in parks and green space within cities and just outside.

It is vital for the U.S. to learn from these countries and to invest in nature and green space within cities for many reasons. Green spaces are proven to have many benefits to human health, both physically and mentally. Cycling to these places also creates even more of a physical health benefit. There is also a major sense of community which is fostered by the investment into green space. I saw this firsthand in these countries the social connection and community that benefits from public, green space, such as parks as well as green bike paths. It is also proven that productivity and concentration is improved by investment in green spaces and nature. There are plenty of reasons why green space and nature deserve to be focused on in the U.S.

For my final project, I am creating both a policy and advocacy approach for bringing these ideas back to the United States. As for the policy side of things, I believe some convincing would be necessary to get policymakers to invest money into green space and nature. Based off what I learned from professionals in the Netherlands and Denmark, it is important to frame your argument in the correct way depending on the audience you are intending to convince. For policymakers, I think it is important to root arguments in statistical and research based information as well as public support. I would discuss the proven benefits of investing in public green space to convince policymakers that parks, green bike lanes, and encouragement of the use of this space is important. However, I would also focus on the advocacy side of things in order to gain public support. We learned about many marketing campaigns and initiatives to persuade people to bicycle to enjoy green space! I may create campaign posters and ads to show people how beneficial and enjoyable cycling in green spaces can be.

Here is the link to my presentation with a bit more info:

I hope this gave you a brief overview of my final project! We will be compiling all of our topics into a longer book format, so if you are interested in reading that feel free to reach out to me!

Yours,
Macy