MA Project Spotlight: Annelise

Annelise Marshall is a soon-to-be graduate of the LTS program, who will begin teaching in Mexico this fall.
IMG_2536 (6)
What is the title of your MA project?
Engaging International Students in the U.S. University Experience

Why did you choose this topic?
My experiences as an undergraduate gave me a passion for Student Life, and when I started getting to know some English learners at the U of O I started thinking about how beneficial involvement with the university environment can be. I wanted to see how I could help students increase their engagement to provide a more positive experience while at the U of O while also benefiting their language learning.

How will this project influence your future teaching?
I do hope to someday work with university level learners in the U.S., and I’ll certainly draw on this project then to provide a better learning experience, but I also hope to use elements of my project while teaching abroad, as I will be in the fall. I’ve been able to learn a lot about the use of authentic materials and pragmatics instruction that I think will be helpful in any teaching context.

What do you like best about your project?
I’ve been able to talk to a lot of students, teachers, and administrators who have reacted really positively to my topic. It’s really motivating to hear from others that they feel the need my project addresses.