LTS Staff Spotlight: Meg Taggart

Meg Taggart joined the Linguistics Department in December 2015, as a Graduate Coordinator. She was born and raised in Far East Russia, and enjoys the multilingual and cultural environment of University of Oregon campus.

What is your background, and what attracted you to a position in a Linguistics Department?

As a recent graduate in Liberal Arts (with an emphasis in business) from Utah State University and as a transplant to Oregon, I am still rejuvenated by the campus environment. Following my graduation, my first official job was in the design industry as an Account Manager. I loved it! It exposed me to a professional field and gave me opportunities to work with a diversity of people from all over the globe. Making the transition from Utah to Oregon and to working on campus, it only made sense to jump into the internationally-minded Linguistics Department.

What are some of the things that you do in your position, especially as they relate to graduate students?

As a Graduate Coordinator I wear many hats! Being in the admissions season now I usually start off my day by answering inquiries regarding the LTS MA program from potential candidates, or even mail out the letters of admission (which is kind of my favorite!). Updating our social media platforms also plays a big role in my position. As our faculty and graduate students get opportunities to travel I prepare and educate them pre-trip, and take care of their documentation when they return. Working alongside with the best faculty and staff on campus makes my job serving the students of the Linguistics Department a great thing to do.

What has been the most interesting part of your job so far?

Becoming a part of the University of Oregon culture has been the most interesting part of my job. Everyone has a lot of school spirit on campus and it is definitely contagious. From athletics to academics there is a lot of passion when it comes to UO. I am now a proud owner of multiple pieces of ‘duck’ gear, rubber ducks for my puppy, and only enjoy orange on Halloween 😉 .

What do you like to do for fun when you’re not in the Department?

When I am not in Straub Hall, I can be found playing with my puppy (Ash) and husband (Sean). We love exploring the beautiful outdoors of Oregon. We love hiking and visiting the coast, and are always looking for a new lighthouse to learn about. I also enjoy experimenting in the kitchen and finding new bakeries/dessert places in Eugene.

Meg and her family hiking in the Silver Falls State Park.