LTS

Language Teaching Studies Blog Site at the University of Oregon

Student Spotlight: Javid

| 1 Comment

Javid is a Fulbrighter from Afghanistan. He completed his undergraduate degree in English language teaching at the School of Education in Herat University. He is passionate about teaching English and loves drawing, traveling, and playing badminton. He is currently a member of Toastmasters International club at the University of Oregon, enhancing his public speaking and leadership skills.

11759498_435024716704115_1971001298_n

How did you come here?

Upon my graduation from college in 2013, I was nominated for the E-Teacher Scholarship Program, an online course sponsored by the US Embassy, Kabul, in coordination with the American English Institute at the University of Oregon. This 10-week long online course titled “Introduction to pedagogy and practices for teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages” focused on TESOL methodology as well as different aspects and modules of teaching English language. While studying this course, I was also in the process of applying for the Fulbright scholarship through which I was able to pursue my master’s degree in one of the universities in the United States. I found the E-teacher scholarship a very helpful and effective program that broadened my understanding of TESOL Methods and Principles and really enjoyed studying that course. Therefore, I choose the University of Oregon as my first preference among the three on my Fulbright application.

What is your project about?

My project is “Developing academic writing: a project-based course design for EFL Afghan university students.” I am very excited to complete this course and hopefully implement it when I return to Afghanistan.

How has your LTS experience been and what did you like the most?

It has been a wonderful experience so far. The highlight of the program for me has been the internship opportunities. I interned in a level 5 oral skills class at the AEI in my first year and now I am involved with co-teaching an elective for AEI students called Talking with Ducks II. It has been an exceptional experience and I have learned many things both from the co-teachers and the supervising teacher. We receive individual constructive feedback after teaching a class and self-evaluate our instruction to become better the next time we teach. Moreover, developing materials, activities and lesson plans and implementing them in the class has extensively enhanced my teaching skills. I am looking forward to other internship opportunities in the next two terms that I am here.

One Comment

1. Thank you Javid, I hope you all the best in the rest of your studies.