Internship Spotlight Weiwei Wu

Weiwei Wu

Weiwei Wu is a current LTS student from China who will be graduating in summer 2015. She participates in the curriculum design and teaching of the Chinese Language and Culture Club for Edison Elementary School, and has a tremendous enthusiasm for teaching Chinese.

In what context did your internship take place?

I interned for a RWG (Reading, Writing, Grammar) level 2 course in the AEI (American English Institute). Students are from China and Saudi Arabia. There are about 18 students in the class.

What surprised you most about the internship?

The teacher is amazing. Cevia is so friendly and warm, and is always willing to offer great language sources for the students. Most students appreciate that and the relationship between the teacher and students is really impressive.

What part of the internship was the most challenging for you?

Learning how to get the attention of students. Because the polarity of the students is obvious; some students work really hard and they make progress so quickly, while some others are less motivated to do homework, or need to be monitored to prevent cheating on exams or using phones in class for reasons not related to classwork.

Would you be willing to share a memorable or special moment from your internship?

Once I was teaching under the supervision of the teacher. I was very nervous, and made some grammar mistakes, but my students looked at me encouragingly and praised me a lot after I finished. I was so grateful to their generosity and kindness.

Author: Tiffany VanPelt

Tiffany VanPelt is a member of the 2014/2015 LTS cohort and Social Media Coordinator.