Know the expectations for remote courses
Specifically, Academic Council expects that remote courses:
Provide live engagement during the scheduled meeting times, including at least 50% planned and structured content delivery or discussion.
Provide reasonable ways for students to complete make-up assignments for missed class sessions or participation points without loss of credit.
Use Canvas for posting materials, collecting assignments, providing alternatives to lectures/discussions for students who are absent from class, and posting grades.
Modify the course expectations as needed so long as learning objectives are met.
Create or modify your course plan and syllabus
- Consider TEP’s Starter Syllabus as you revise your course policies.
- Choose assessments that work in a remote context.
- Assign engaging activities.
- Include reflection prompts and call up career ready and resilience skills.
Need help identifying learning outcomes or aligning your assignments and activities with your outcomes? Here is a helpful worksheet on aligned course design.
Organize your Canvas site
Download a Customizable Welcome Module
Here is a course Welcome Module, which you can upload to your Canvas site and revise as you want.
Instructions for uploading:
- Select “Import Course Content” (either on the right or bottom of your window)
- Under “Import Content,” as the Content Type, select “Canvas Course Export Package”
- Choose File and navigate to the file (WelcomeModule.imscc)
- Select “All Content”
- There are no due dates yet so no need to select “Adjust events and due dates”
- Click Import and the module package and assignments will all load into your course as unpublished content.
Prepare and facilitate your class
- Choose a platform for live engagement.
- Organize class time with students:
- Employ active learning and re-capture classroom dynamism.
- Organize asynchronous student engagements:
Connect with your students
- Build class community.
- Facilitate connection among students.
- Check in often and get student feedback.
- Hold office hours:
- Support students’ wellbeing and help them access resources for learning and living remotely.