Know the expectations for remote courses
Specifically, Academic Council expects that remote courses:
- Provide live engagement during the scheduled meeting times, including at least 50% planned and structured content delivery or discussion.
- Provide reasonable ways for students to complete make-up assignments for missed class sessions or participation points without loss of credit.
- Use Canvas for posting materials, collecting assignments, providing alternatives to lectures/discussions for students who are absent from class, and posting grades.
- Modify the course expectations as needed so long as learning objectives are met.
Specifically, the Accessible Education Center advises instructors to:
- Record all synchronous course sessions (Save to Zoom cloud for auto-transcription option)
- Design for accessibility and provide flexibility
- in the way information is presented
- in options for students to respond or demonstrate learning
- in the ways students engage
- Plan for the reality that you will have students in your class who experience disabilities or other types of barriers
- Be aware of Canvas Accessibility issues and follow best practice guidelines on creating accessible digital content
- Coordinate with the Accessible Education Center to facilitate required accommodations as outlined in notification letters and consult as needed
Create or modify your course plan and syllabus
- Consider TEP’s Starter Syllabus as you revise your course policies.
- Choose assessments that work in a remote context.
- Assign engaging activities.
- Include reflection prompts and call up career ready and resilience skills.
Need help identifying learning outcomes or aligning your assignments and activities with your outcomes? Here is a helpful worksheet on aligned course design.
Organize your Canvas site
Download a Customizable Welcome Module
Here is a course Welcome Module, which you can upload to your Canvas site and revise as you want.
Instructions for uploading:
- Select “Import Course Content” (either on the right or bottom of your window)
- Under “Import Content,” as the Content Type, select “Canvas Course Export Package”
- Choose File and navigate to the file (WelcomeModule.imscc)
- Select “All Content”
- There are no due dates yet so no need to select “Adjust events and due dates”
- Click Import and the module package and assignments will all load into your course as unpublished content.
Prepare and facilitate your class
- Choose a platform for live engagement.
- Organize class time with students:
- Employ active learning and re-capture classroom dynamism.
- Organize asynchronous student engagements:
Connect with your students
- Build class community.
- Facilitate connection among students.
- Check in often and get student feedback.
- Hold office hours:
- Support students’ wellbeing, be part of a community of care for their mental health, and know how to refer them to campus resources.