New Student Survey
1. Where did you move from to attend the UO? And, briefly describe how you landed on the UO AAD program. Any interesting, funny, anecdotal stories/details are welcome.
I’ve been Eugene for about a year and a half now but I am originally from the DFW (Dallas) area in Texas. I’ve always been heavily involved with Theatre and have done work in all aspects of that community (performer, tech, admin) so I knew I wanted to learn more about producing/management and creative direction for arts organizations. In working with OCT here in town, I met Tara Wibrew, an alum of the AAD program and she encouraged me to apply. After hearing her speak on the topic, and learning more about it myself, I knew this was an area I wanted to pursue.
2. Area of concentration in AAD?
Performing Arts Management
3. Describe your knowledge and use of technology systems.
I’ve used both Mac and PC systems for various projects though in my professional life I have most commonly used PC. I have used both iPhone and Android phones, tablets, etc. and am proficient in both (though I prefer the customization of Android). I have a working knowledge of various other devices and peripherals such as digital cameras, printers, scanners, drawing pads, speaker systems, light and sound boards.
4. What software do you commonly use? Briefly describe purpose/application for software on your list.
The software I most commonly use would probable be Microsoft Office. For work purposes I am frequently generating word documents and excel spreadsheets. I’ve also had some experience managing databases (Access). I have a light working knowledge of Photoshop and have spent minimal time with Illustrator and InDesign so I am looking forward to growing those skills while in this class.
Some other software I have used frequently in the past include: Adobe Acrobat, ShoreTel, Fruity Loops (electronic music generation software), iMovie, etc.
5. Do you have any graphic design or media production/management experience? Have you taken any graphic design or media production courses?
I do not have a great deal of graphic design experience; though I have done a little bit over the course of my studies and work. I’ve done some media production which has commonly taken the form of video and sound design. Overall I would say I do not have a great deal of experience in this area and am a novice at best. I have not taken any graphic or media design courses up to this point.
6. Know anything about typography?
I am familiar with the term but do not have a formal knowledge of its history or application. I do have some experience choosing fonts (for things like playbills and posters) so most of knowledge comes from using the eye test to determine which fonts look good and which do not.
7. Do you use Web (2.0) apps? Name those that you use or are familiar with.
Certainly! I have used things like flickr, Imgur, gmail, Google Drive, Dropbox, Skype, Reddit, WordPress (lightly), among others, but I/we use Web 2.0 apps on a daily basis. Too many to list them all!
8. Do you use Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Yelp, etc.)? Name those that you engage in.
I do! I use Twitter, Facebook, and Snapchat most frequently. I have used Instagram in the past but it now lies fairly dormant.
9. Tell me something unique about yourself.
Hmmm. Let’s see. I’m Scottish and have a nearly completed family tree going back as far as the late 1200’s. My family is pretty into our heritage and have spent a great deal of time in Scotland working to track it all down and of course visiting several distilleries along the way (I am a fan of Scotch).
10. Anything else?
Not really! I am looking forward to learning and becoming more proficient with design elements in this class!