Week 2 Lexicon Terms
- Type/Typography as Design
- We are exposed to thousands of fonts on a daily basis that, at least for me, I do not often stop to think about what the typeface itself does to the words and branding it displays. Which speaks to the power of typography. It can be so subtle and so commonplace that it affects us on a subconscious level. So while I do not have a great deal of knowledge on typography I think it is interesting, and also important, to consider what the typeface means in addition to the words themselves in design.
- Balance is integral to design. In our daily lives were are always seeking balance with out time, with our work, with our schooling, etc. so to do we seek balance in design. We seek to balance colors, logos, vectors, marketing, product design, etc. Most importantly it is crucial to remember to seek balance between what is new and cutting edge with what is fundamentally sound and works. In this way you ensure a quality and interesting design.
- What we cannot necessarily see a physical representation of but is crucial all the same. Intangibles as it applies to design are things like an organization’s mission and vision. While these things may not be tangible they are important to consider when engaging in design, and specifically, branding. You must consider an organization’s mission when creating new designs for them because you wish to convey their purpose and their ideology with their design. This can be done in subtle or obvious ways but should always be considered and is arguably the most important thing to consider when designing.
- Flexibility is key with most things in life. With design it is important to embrace change. Very rarely do the first drafts become accepted in designs. You will always have to compete with your client’s ever changing needs, peer reviews, and your own critiques. By being flexible you allow yourself to minimize stress and promote the free flow of ideas and work with your design. Ride the waves, roll with the punches, do not go against them. Embrace change do not shirk from it. Important things to remember in life; important things to remember when designing.