Week 2 – Natalie Henry Bennon, response to Digital Culture Ch 1&2

I needed a couple infusions of caffeine to get through the beginning and middle of the Week 2 Gere reading (Digital Culture) as I have no previous background in concepts like Cybernetics and Structuralism. But as I came to the last 20 pages, I was genuinely fascinated by the development of the current personal computer and how we came to use it not just for computing, but for communicating.

It is understandable that capitalism would be the initial spark for computing machines like calculators and typewriters. But what I never considered is how symbolism played such a significant role in the development of the modern-day computer. The concept of shifting from a system of actual money (i.e., a pouch with gold coins) to paper money (as a symbol for those gold coins) to paper money as a symbol for the value of something (not necessarily connected to ore) to simply a plastic card with numbers in your online bank account is fascinating in and of itself. But I was surprised by the idea that this acceptance of financial symbolism would form the basis for how we relate to computers and accept the symbols they present to us now.

Then there was the rise of the military. Gere writes, “Much as nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century capitalism offered the framework for the invention of the modern computer, the Cold War was largely responsible for how it developed and how it was used. The way in which we use and think about computers, as media and communications devices, rather than simply complex calculators, is a result of these Cold War developments.” He goes on to detail the ways in which the military funded computer research, developed “real-time computing”, employed the first computer graphics and virtual images (symbols!), and of course we all know that the Defense Department developed and used the first Internet. Military funding led to word processors, cutting and pasting, separate windows, hypertext, computer conferencing, and even the mouse.

Truthfully, it makes me uneasy that the devices I use multiple times a day, some days for more than half of my waking hours, were developed largely by the military. The fact that our modern lifestyle is so intrinsically tied to war blows my mind a little. It is yet another reason why I sometimes daydream about living on a farm and abandoning the digital culture. But I am really bad at growing things. I would starve. Does anyone else feel uncomfortable by all this and want to start a hippy farming commune with me? Do you know how to keep the aphids off your vegetables so we’ll have something to eat?

6 comments to Week 2 – Natalie Henry Bennon, response to Digital Culture Ch 1&2

• Lindsey Newkirk

Natalie I totally hear you! I haven’t read the book assignment yet but I’ve heard it’s a little tough to choke down. I’m eager to read about the military’s active role in developing computer technology into what we know it today; that notion also makes my stomach turn a bit. I wonder how many systems I am reliant on that have roots that may potentially conflict with my values. AND I too romanticize about ditching technology to live in the country, it’s sometime so overwhelming and I feel it’s such an easy diversion from what really matters. Yet on the other hand the is an unpresidented opportunity for people to use digital technology to share and inspire others to connect with what really matters to them. Perhaps that’s a contradiction, if we unplugged more, maybe it would be easier to connect with that notion. If you start a commune, call me!

• lpaters5@uoregon.edu

Hahaha Nathalie this is great. Maybe it’s just me but I felt like Gere was somehow using this historical information to champion the capitalist system and even our Military Industrial Complex, which I found strange considering the book is mostly informational. He also hasn’t touched on the detriment of either, though on pages 24 – 27 he talks about the development of the division of labor and “efficient capitalist production,” though there is no mention of America’s history of child labor or terrible working conditions. Maybe he will mention it as we read on, but as far as I’m concerned, if you’re going to talk about the good, it’s probably best to talk about the bad too.

And I am so down for a hippy farm commune! I have grown tomatoes before and aspire to own pygmy goats someday. Not only are they absolutely adorable, they are little lawnmowers who trim the grass at the tops but don’t pull it out at the roots! I’m sure we can all pool together and make it happen.

• jschaub@uoregon.edu

I concur with all three of you! I’m half way through the reading, and there are some points that he makes that caused me to stop and think ‘hmmm… that’s a good point.’ It is tough reading and I know that I will need to review my notes to help make it make more sense.

One question that popped in my mind during the reading (I am half-way through)and that I will be writing about in my short essay to Helen is that he stresses that ‘capitalism (commodities) is the foundation of technology, and it’s evolution.’ It’s not that I disagree with this, but I am willing to challenge that notion and say something along the lines of ‘information is the new foundation of technological evolution.’ My examples that supports my statement is still buzzing around in my head, but I think I’m on to something…

Thoughts?

• natalieb@uoregon.edu

Jamie, I might agree with information being the new foundation. But after you finish the readings I am curious whether you still agree with that statement. I mean, information is a broad term.

• kpokrass@uoregon.edu

I too am up for the hippie farm commune. It would be nice to unplug, get my hands dirty and get back to a simpler time. However, I have no idea about farming or aphids prevention, but I can clean and do subscribe to your uneasiness of using devices that were developed by the military. So…count me in!

• natalieb@uoregon.edu

Dang I just read the part about the private post being the essay on the readings and the public post being about the videos. *sigh*