Stakeholder Assignment

It’s no secret that coffee is a growing trend and that many coffee-drinking college students are utilizing the effects of caffeine diligently.  The effects of caffeine can be invigorating and useful, especially when it comes to studying and cramming for finals. The question is: are college students becoming dependent users of the caffeine in coffee that causes addiction?  For this research project, I am investigating stakeholders that share a relevant perspective on the matter, or are affected by the issue/topic in some way.

College coffee-drinkers are a prime part of this research paper, as the topic is focused around this group identity. For this research project, I have spoke with multiple students that drink coffee regularly. To create a plethora of diverse information, I chose to gather college aged coffee drinkers with different coffee drinking habits. For instance, one of my interviewees, UO sophomore Claire Rischiotto*, only drinks coffee about once a week when she feels she needs energy. Jason Ibrao, a senior at UO, drinks coffee every morning and he drinks multiple cups of coffee a day. It’s safe to say that students drinking coffee are the prime stakeholders in my project.

Another alternative source that will provide input to college drinking specifically in college life is Michael Schumacher. Michael graduated from UO nearly one year ago and, since graduating, has worked at Spring Capital Group in Eugene, Oregon. I want to speak with Michael about his coffee drinking habits during and after college. What is the difference, if any? Michael’s habits will be incredibly useful for compiling information and testimony.

The people surrounding a college student addicted to coffee are stakeholders as well. If a college student is addicted to caffeine and shows negative physical signs of addiction, some of those signs may be stronger and will affect family or friends more negatively. Even the mere thought of someone being grouchy or rude before he/she has a morning cup of coffee can be reason enough to involve those surrounded. Knowing how parents or roommates feel about a coffee addict in their lives can be stressful.

I am also interested in students that do not drink coffee. In order to better understand the reasons around the college coffee-drinking culture, I will be interviewing Awab Alrawe, a senior at UO. Awab points out that he can drink coffee, but he personally chooses not to. Awab prefers to live his college life without addiction to anything. I believe it’s important to research both sides of the college coffee-drinking spectrum.

I would consider medical professionals to be stakeholders for my issue. Doctors are consistently researching and studying the effects of drugs on the brain. Caffeine is a drug that has an effect on those who drink coffee. What is the harm in drinking multiple cups a day? Medical professionals are consistently researching, like Dr. Simmons*. Dr. Simmons is a regular guest on Doc Talk at KUGN radio and he consistently speaks to how we should treat medicines and our bodies. He can speak to the nature of caffeine and his profession allows him to inform the public on factual medical information. Along with Dr. Simmons, national organizations like the American Psychiatric Association has declared coffee addiction an actual mental health disorder. These types of medical organizations are stakeholders as well because they are aware of the growing issue.

Addiction counselors and those involved in providing therapy for addicts are stakeholders for my issue. Leah Chapman* from Emergence Addiction and Behavior Therapies is a counselor that aids those addicted to nearly anything. Caffeine can aid addiction to coffee for some individuals. Having addiction counselors is necessary to understand how to deal with the cause and effect of addiction.

As I continue to research and develop a better of idea of the importance and necessity college students place on coffee, I am continually more interested in the topic. I hope that you find my stakeholders list relevant, and I plan to compile these interest leads to help better explore the issue of coffee addiction in college students for my final research paper.

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>