Form Finder

There is one form that everyone must fill out: Form 8843.

There are two forms that only those who had a job or a taxable scholarship may need to fill out: Form 1040NR-EZ and Oregon 40N.

To fill these last two forms, you need to have a Form W-2 and/or a Form 1042-S and/or a Form 1099-MISC. See below for more information on all these forms.

FORM FOR EVERYONE:

Form 88438843
Who fills out this form? Anyone with an F-1, F-2, J-1 and J-2 visa, in the U.S. in 2016.
Do I need to fill this out if I made no money, no job or scholarship? Yes.
Do I need to fill this out if I had a job and/or a scholarship? Yes.
I arrived to the U.S. on December 31, 2016…. Yes. You have to fill this form out.
I arrived in the U.S. on or after January 1, 2017? No. You do not have to fill this form out.
I need help to fill this form. Click here for help. Click here to download the form.

FORMS FOR THOSE WHO HAD A JOB OR TAXABLE SCHOLARSHIP

Form 1040NR-EZ  1040nrez
Question 1

How much money did you make?

Did you get paid for a job or received scholarships (not tuition scholarships) from U.S. sources in the amount of less than $4,050 and got taxed?

OR

Did you get paid for a job or received scholarships (not tuition scholarships) from U.S. sources in an amount between $4,050 or and $100,000?

Question 2

Visa and time

Did you have an F-1 visa or a J-1 Student visa, and been in the U.S. with this visa between January 1, 2011 and December 31, 2016?

OR

Did If you have a J-1 Scholar or J-2 Scholar visa, and been in the U.S. no more than 2 out of the last 6 years?

OR

Did you have an F-1 visa or a J-1 visa, and been in the U.S. with this visa since before January 1, 2012, and do not pass the Substantial Presence Test?

Who fills out this form? If you answered YES to one of the two answers of Question 1 and YES to one of the three answers in Question 2, you must fill out this form
Do I need to fill this out if I made no money, no job or scholarship? No.
Do I need to fill this out if my scholarship paid only my tuition? No.
Do I need a social security number or ITIN to fill out this form? Yes. See here for information about social security number and ITIN
Can I get a refund or do I have to pay federal taxes? Fill out this form to find out.
Can a tax treaty help me pay less tax? Maybe. See here for a list of treaties.
Oregon Form 40NScreen Shot 2016-01-20 at 1.38.43 PM
Who fills out this form? 1) If you filled out the Form 1040NR-EZ; and
2) If your 1040NR-EZ, Line 10 is more than zero AND your Form W-2, box 17 (State income tax) is more than zero; and
3) If you lived in Oregon for any part of 2016
Can I get a refund or do I have to pay state taxes? Fill out this form to find out.
Can a tax treaty help me pay less tax? Unlikely. See here for a list of treaties.

FORMS YOU NEED FOR FILLING OUT THE TAX FORMS

Form W-2W-2
What is it? This form shows how much you earned in 2016 at your job or jobs and how much was taken out for taxes.
Where can I find it? If you worked on campus, you can find it on Duckweb (under the tab “Employee Information”) and the UO will also mail it to you. If you got paid during your CPT or OPT, your employer will mail it to you. You will receive multiple copies of the same Form W-2: this is normal.
Who gets it?  You will only receive this form if you have been employed.
Form 1042-S1042-s
What is it? This form shows any scholarship, stipend, childcare subsidy or fellowship money that exceeds tuition and related fee charges that you received in 2016.
Where can I find it? The UO Business Affairs will mail it to you. If the deadline is approaching and you believe you need this form but have not received it, please visit Business Affairs located at Thompson University Center, 720 East 13th Avenue

If you expect to receive this form, wait until it is issued before filing your tax return.

Who gets it? Anyone with a scholarship, stipend, childcare subsidy or fellowship money that exceeds tuition and related fee charges. You will not receive a copy of this form if you only have a tuition waiver on your account and do not receive any checks.
Form 1099-MISC1099
What is it? This form shows any other kind of income.
Where can I find it? Your employer will mail it to you.
Who gets it? Typically, student on CPT or OPT who worked as an independent contractor, rather than as an employee.
Form 1095B
What is it? This form is used to report your medical coverage.
Where can I find it? The UO will mail it to you.
Who gets it? All students and scholars.
How to use it? All non-residents for tax purposes simply need to keep this form in their records. It does not need to be sent.

All residents for tax purposes need this form to compile their forms and must send this along with their tax returns.