Social Security number or ITIN number

Social Security: a Social Security card is essential to working in the United States as it’s required for anyone to receive payment. To apply for a Social Security number, you must be able to prove that you are legally authorized for employment and have a paid job. See the bottom of this webpage for instructions on how to get one.

ITIN: if you or your dependent(s) are not eligible for a Social Security card (for example, you were not employed but received a taxable scholarship, stipend, childcare benefit, free housing, athletic scholarship, or are eligible for a tax treaty etc.), you may need to apply for an ITIN (Independent Taxpayer Identification Number). ITIN is for federal tax reporting only, and is not intended to serve any other purpose. The government issues ITIN to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process tax forms and payments for those not eligible for Social Security cards.

To apply for an ITIN, follow these steps:
1) Meet with a Business Affairs officer at the new location in 720 East 13th Avenue
2) Fill out, with a Business Affairs officer, a Form W-7
3) Make appointment to see an international student advisor by calling 541-346-3206
4) Bring to your appointment:
– Completed Form W-7
– passport
– current I-20
– documentation about your scholarship, stipend or any other information needed to prove why you need an ITIN.

After your appointment, your international student advisor will mail your application to the government (Internal Revenue Service or IRS) along with a certification letter. It will take 6-8 weeks for the IRS to process your application and for you to receive your ITIN number. The IRS does will not expedite ITIN applications. You can expect to hear back from IRS a few months after you apply on whether your application was successful or not. Your international student advisor does not receive any notification from the IRS.

If you have not received your ITIN in time for filing your tax forms, you can try to mail all the documents listed above, including the international student advisor’s certification letter, together with your tax forms. Please see the tax forms help for details on the IRS address. It is possible that the IRS will recognize that you sent the tax forms in time, but will still send the forms back to you requesting that you correct any mistake (like not writing the ITIN number). In that case, we observed in past years that some students re-applied for the ITIN the regular way and re-submitted correction tax forms after they finally recived the ITIN. There is no official procedure about this issue and there is no guarantee that this method will work.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email