Justin Furtado: Senior Reflection Series

Is it ironic that my first college experience was with the Holden Center and my last now, too? This reflection I’m currently writing will be the final “paper” I write in my undergraduate college career. Surreal. My first experience with the Holden Center was a WILD (Wilderness Institute for Leadership for Development) backpacking trip. Unfortunately, the program is no longer continued at the Holden Center, but it made a profound impact on my life; because it was my introduction to the Holden Center.

My WILD experience led me to participate in multiple Holden Center programs throughout my first year of college: Days of Service, Duck Corps, and Strengths Consultations. The most impactful program for me was Duck Corps because it introduced me to my passion for working with youth at the Boys and Girls Club of Emerald Valley. For the next two years, I worked, interned, and continued volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club of Emerald Valley.

Fast forward two years later, I decided to apply to the Holden Center for the Duck Corps Program Assistant. One of the best decisions of my life. During Fall training in 2019, I knew I made the right decision. As a staff, we instantly clicked, and it felt like home before we started working officially. As the year went on, the team became extremely close, and as one of our professional staff Sarah Blanchard says, “magical.”

It’s true, though. I’ve never been a part of a work culture that entrenches and values relationships as much as my co-workers at the Holden Center. I’m missing them as I write this! To say they are all genuinely good human beings would be an understatement. The people there at the Holden Center are incredible. We all have one common goal: make the world a better place. It’s fantastic because so many of us have our unique passions. Some of us love the environment, some are passionate about prison reform, education, social justice, women empowerment, and so much more.

It’s been a privilege to be a part of such an incredible organization at the University of Oregon. Not only have I built relationships that will continue to grow with time, but I learned so much about community engagement. Persistence, selflessness, communication, inspiration, equity, kindness, empowerment, and problem solving are only skills I’ve learned through my senior year as a Duck Corps Program Assistant.

I want to touch on the most important skill I learned, especially in the last few months; social equity. Not just to get a pat on the back for being a “good” white person. No, because of every human life matters. The racist system built on black bodies and stolen from Native Americans is at the forefront of my mind. I’m thankful that my supervisor Hannah continually reminded me to think about equity when it came to programming.

Before the year started, I knew racism was a problem, but I didn’t realize the extent of the problem because I’m white. Now that I’m graduating college and heading off into the workforce, it’s up to my peers and me to fight this injustice. Not just today, tomorrow, next month, and next year but for years to come. Until justice is served. Thanks to the Holden Center, I feel equipped with the tools to begin my journey to build a much more equitable society.

Thank you, Hannah, Veronica, Sarah, Melissa, Adam, Nicole, Chloe, Anna, Brendan, Sabrina, Savannah, Savanah, Riley, Aly, Ellie, Nico, Bailey, Kacie, and Hailey for the wonderful year.

jfurtado