The Wallace and Grace Hayden Gallery was established by a generous gift by Professor and Mrs. Hayden. Professor Hayden was a dedicated faculty member, artist, architect and innovator in construction design and technology who taught at the UO from 1930-1971. The gallery is dedicated to exhibiting professional design work and student work in architecture, landscape architecture, interior architecture, historic preservation, and urban and regional planning. Other work may be exhibited at the discretion of the dean or his/her designee.
Wallace S. Hayden (b. Boston, MA, 1905- 1994) received a Bachelors of Architecture in 1928 from the University of Oregon School of Architecture and Allied Arts (now the College of Design) and married Grace Bell McDennott (b. Blackfoot, ID, 1905- 2003) in Eugene in 1929. A tireless educator and design instructor, Hayden joined the UO architecture department faculty in 1930 where he taught until his retirement in 1971. His travel drawings and photography inspired students and conveyed a special sense of place. Although Wallace Hayden worked for prominent architectural firms in Portland and Seattle, his best known project in Eugene is the Wayne Morse Ranch complex, designed to evoke the nature of a rural Wisconsin farmstead.
Use the Application to reserve the Hayden Gallery for exhibitions or events. Applications must be approved prior to any exhibition or event in the gallery.