1. Where did you move from to attend the UO? And, briefly describe how you landed on the UO AAD program. Any interesting, funny, anecdotal stories/details are welcome.

I moved from Bozeman, Montana after I graduated from Montana State University with a Bachelor’s of Fine Art Degree in Art History and two Minors in Business Administration and Museum Studies.  There were three things I was looking for in a graduate study program; it needed to be in the Northwest Region, combined my passions of Art and Business, and the mission statement was that fit my research and career opportunities. I came to Eugene in the summer and I have loved it here from the get go.

2. Area of concentration in AAD?

My area of concentration is in Museum Studies. I want to pursue my research in using Social Media for rural museums to connect with the Millennial generation.

3. Describe your knowledge and use of technology systems.

Mac and HP are the two computers I am the most familiar with. I don’t really prefer one over the other.  It just depends on the project and the presentation format. I am an Iphone lady  as far as smart phones go because my family uses Facetime app a lot. Tablets are very easy to operate and portable. I would love to get one but it will have to wait for the time being.   My three year old son, Danny, can probably operate all of these better than me. Scanners, printers, cameras, and video I have experience as well. Before I was an Art History student. They were used for school projects and kick starting the first Art History Society for Montana State. I was majoring in Graphic Design and changed my major when I was a sophomore. My experiences has made me very excited for the class and ready to start going in-depth in these programs.

4. What software do you commonly use? Briefly describe purpose/application for software on your list.

There have been many database systems, sites, code, etc that I have used in the past few years. Photoshop, InDesign, and Acrobate were used to help design advertisements for the Art History Society and a new logo for a company called Moose Troop. In high school I was practicing making my own be E portfolio using my own code in CSS. (I will not show it though. It is extremely outdated.)

5. Do you have any graphic design or media production/management experience? Have you taken any graphic design or media production courses?

I studied Graphic Design for two years and I helped my uncle’s little league football team design a new logo. They were the Lil’ Hornets and we made T-shirts for the parents.

6. Know anything about typography?

I still have a book on typography and took a class while I was studying Graphic Design. I remember an assignment were students had to create our own font using an object. I used a rubber ducky which was very difficult. Then, we made a poster/book  out of the lettering. Ha Ha, my book was a bath time song from Sesame Street. It was a great time.

7. Do you use Web 2.0 apps? Name those that you use or are familiar with.

Yes. Everyday. I am most familiarized with Adobe. Again, I have used it for various projects in school and for my last professional position at Start West Satellite.

8. Do you use Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Yelp, etc.)? Name those that you engage in.

I use Facebook and LinkedIn mostly for Social Media. My favorite place on the web to get ideas is Pinterest. It is were I got an idea for my centerpieces at my wedding. It is common to see Pinterest ideas around my house because I use them to decorate different rooms. Other social media pages I am familiar with but I don’t spend a lot of time with them. Yelp, I ]use to get references for services.

9. Tell me something unique about yourself.

I like peanut butter on my pancakes and Oreos. What can I say, I like my protein.

10. Anything else?

I like to joke and have fun while I learn.  Also, I like inspirational quotes y Dr. Seuss. He is my number one favorite Doctor. Second is Dr. Pepper.  I’ll end on one of his quotes.

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” – Dr. Suess “Happy Birthday to You!”

Cheers,

Halley Perry