Professional Development

The Science Literacy Program:

The University of Oregon Science Literacy Program (UO SLP) aims to enhance the scientific competence and appreciation of non scientists through science classes aimed at non-science majors, utilizing evidence based teaching practices. The UO SLP also provides resources for instructors to develop their teaching effectiveness through a weekly journal club which focuses on academic research in science pedagogy, and well as by providing a network of colleagues who are enthusiastic about teaching science!

I have been involved with the UO SLP since 2013 when I participated in my first SLP fellowship, and began attending the weekly journal club. The SLP fellowships are a fantastic opportunity for graduate students to participate at co-instructor in courses which are focused on science education for non-science majors, or on communicating science to the broader public, read more on my Instruction page!

Workshops:

Workshops which focus on issues that instructors face are a great way to broaden ones perspective on teaching. Through the UO SLP and the Teaching Effectiveness Program (TEP) I have attended a number of workshops which focus on scientific teaching and diversity in the classroom. A selection of these are listed below:

• Advanced Strategies for Discussion Leaders: Difficult Dialogues – This workshop was focused on how to engage students in an effective, but sensitive, manner regarding potentially difficult to discuss topics ranging from academic integrity and diversity, to violence, to racial and cultural issues that may arise in the classroom.
  • Keeping it Real, Lively and Strong: Engaged Mindfulness Practices for Resilient Learning Communities with University of San Francisco Professor of Law Rhonda Magee – In this workshop Rhonda Magee guided us through a discussion of the dynamics of learning communities, and how to employ mindfulness as a way to engage students, and to deal with potentially difficult classroom situations.
  • Summer Institute on Scientific Teaching – This summer institute was developed jointly by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the National Academies to provide a comprehensive learning environment for instructors to engage with and develop scientific teaching skills. During this week long institute I participated in discussions covering topics including how students learn, and facilitating diversity in the classroom. We also worked in discipline specific groups throughout the week to develop a short activity employing active learning techniques, and lead this activity for the entire group.

Community Outreach:

I am involved with community outreach providing opportunities for children, the public, and undergraduates to engage in scientific inquiry. Some of my outreach activities are listed below:

• University of Oregon Undergraduate Research Symposium: Oral Panel Judge – The undergraduate research symposium at the university of Oregon is an opportunity for undergraduates to present their own research projects in a conference-style environment. I participated as a judge for the inaugural Oral Presentation Award, which recognizes one participant for excellence in research and clarity of delivery.
  • Meet a Scientist” Day at the Science Factory – The science factory is a local space which provides a rich learning environment for children to engage with science. I ran a booth at the annual “Meet a Scientist” day in which I guided children though scientific inquiry using liquid nitrogen and dry ice. Participants were introduced to the relationship between temperature and volume of a gas by cooling balloons with the liquid nitrogen, and explored the effects of different density gasses by floating paper boats on a fish tank filled with carbon dioxide!
  • University of Oregon Science and Invention Fair Judge – I participated in the 2013 University of Oregon Science and Invention fair as a judge of middle school science projects. I got to discuss projects with the students who performed them, I was impressed with how inquisitive and inventive these middle schoolers were, and I was pleased to see young people engaged with science.