Journal 2

Artists are everywhere.  Walking along the sidewalks of streets, in their studios, or even on a school campus teaching a class.  This also goes the same for scientists.  They’re either at school as well or in a secret lab located in Area 51 doing amazing out of this world experiments.  Even though these two groups have quite different objectives, their motive is still the same.  They want to learn more about what they are studying.  Now there is an actual middle ground between these two subjects.  This is where artist and scientist come together as one person.  The amount of people who are in this field has been increasing over the years, contributing to both the sciences and arts with their own little experiments and displays for the world to see.  Although I am not an art-scientist myself, I am just an artist, I would find it quite interesting to try it out myself just to expand my knowledge on the topic.  To help me get an idea of what I should do for a beginner’s project, I chose two art-scientists who caught my attention.  Hdoto and Tomas Saraceno.

h.o. (hdoto) is a group formed in Japan consisting of members that are specialized in the fields of computers and programming along with engineering.  In the beginning, they decided to base their projects on the search for themes that were invisible and universal such as communication and time.  The members would interchange between projects depending on their area of study.  As new members joined, h.o. decided to point their interests towards social aspects using advertisements.  I could make a connection with the members because I have had the opportunity to study a little bit of programming back in high school.  The subject, to me, was quite hard to understand and actually do, so it amazed me on how many people have a huge profession in this area.  Besides just the computers and engineering, the mixture of art and computers have been a great combination in my opinion.  Their ideas are also quite cute and unique allowing interaction with the audience, which I believe is a great factor in presenting pieces such as theirs.  I might even figure out a way to allow the audience viewing my art to connect with it further.

The second artist is Tomas Saraceno.  Saraceno has an architecture degree and postgraduate degrees in Art and Architecture.  His pieces focused on new, sustainable ways of inhabiting and sensing the environment towards an “aerosolar becoming”.  Although not much is said about him in his biography, I just like his focus about how to explore the environment and including it into an art perspective.  Art and the environment is quite beautiful together if one knows how to capture it correctly.  One of his works, “Poetic Cosmos of the Breath” really caught my attention.  It was a colorful inflated sheet that caught the light of the rising sun in the morning.  I have never seen someone do this kind of interactive art before, and I also loved how the colors just flowed on the sheet thanks to the wind and sun put together.  Even though I am not sure I will be using the natural environment in a piece soon, I just thought that the reason I am attracted to Saraceno’s work is because it sparks a type of feeling of awe of how beautiful something that needed so little to be.  Simplicity literally turned out to be more in the end.

Although my art piece by the end of the school year is not final yet, I decided that I these artists could help me move in a direction that would suit me and the art and science field.  Though I may not do exactly what they have done or in the same science field as them, their pieces are still make me think deeply about what can be done with what is given, either artificial or natural.  I look forward to the experimentation of ideas even more, knowing that the outcome could be as amazing as their own.