The hike in Latemar was one of my FAVORITES! It was the first lengthy hike we did, so it was exciting to hit the ground running with this beautiful, geologically amazing place. Alberto was such a great guide, and I enjoyed chatting with him a little bit about his background and experiences in the Dolomites on the ski lift ride up. I was in awe of the mountains that were in every which direction, the lush grass and brush that filled the mountainsides, the COWS that grazed on that lush grass, the clouds that were a puffy white and gray figure moving above us, and just the overall feeling of being out and about in nature and the open air.

I think the cows were one of the biggest hits on this day because we had yet to see any and there were just so many that we were overwhelmed with the beautiful animals. They looked so happy and healthy, grazing on the abundant mountainside, not confined to a small barnyard, and just full of beautiful colors and spots. If I were a cow, I would want to live on the Latemar mountainside.

It was exciting to point out the different types of rock that were embedded within the mountain, and Alberto did a great job of pointing everything out. It was crazy to hear that this area was once underwater and instead the mountainside was a chain of islands. Lastly, we visited our first rifugio and had a hearty meal of schnitzel and potatoes which fulfilled me perfectly to continue walking down the mountain in time to catch the bus back to the adorable town of Cavalese. 

A close up of one of the numerous cows that we came across on the hike.

A silly photo at the rifugio after enjoying a lunch of schnitzel and potatoes and a toast from Alberto.

Massimo enjoying the view from above!