To start off our exploration through the Dolomites, we visited the Messner Mountain Museum in Bolzano. Our journey getting to the museum was filled with a couple detours and a spontaneous hike to reach the former fortress. The diversion, however, gave us a glimpse of the nearby towns, orchards, and vineyards in Bolzano. We chatted while walking along the rugged road,  admiring the growing fruit trees and grape vines. It was nice getting to converse with my classmates while exploring the Bolzano countryside. Upon entering the museum, I was amazed at how the space was constructed inside the remnants of the old Sigmundskron castle. Messner and his team were challenged with figuring out the best ways to preserve the historical walls and incorporate the likeness of an exhibition where changes to the structure could easily be reversed. I think the end result is pretty cool. I liked how they built a space that simulates the feeling of going up a mountain ie; the glass floors and spiraling staircases. I’ve truly never been to a museum space quite like this one. Overall I think this was a great activity to get us thinking about what climbing a mountain symbolizes and how we can connect themes of humanity, war, geology, religion, and even folklore to these experiences. 

A bird’s-eye view of fruit orchards and grapevines surrounding the nearby town.
Former tower now contains museum exhibitions.
Ruins of the castle in contrast to the rocky landscape and
and growing plants.