Our trip to Lavorone was my favorite of the whole trip. The town’s idyllic aesthetic created a welcoming atmosphere. Coming to a town after many hard days of hiking was a great feeling. It was wonderful to be immersed in water and around more people than I was used to in the mountains. I enjoyed this trip for many reasons, however as documented below the cows of the farm we visited now have a special place in my heart. It was wonderful to have seen pasturing take place right in front of our eyes throughout our hikes in the mountains but it was very cool to see a farm in person. I noticed the ethics of this farm most of all and loved how cared for all the animals were. This trip was meaningful to me because I felt very at home and could see myself working at similar places in the future.  

Lake in Lavarone.

On the walk to Santa al Croz farm, a street in Lavorone. 

View from Santa al Croz farm.

Baby cows at the farm.

Julia being a cow whisperer. 

Some of the 80 cows on the farm!

Cheese making process!

I found the experience of cheese-making extraordinary. It taught me about the zero-waste cycle the farm uses which is an incredible sustainability initiative. The local cows produce milk, using this fresh milk the cheese is made, and following that the whey and unsanitary cheese made by tourists is fed to the pigs. I think it is really important, especially in the world we face today, which is struggling with climate change and waste issues, that we implement as many waste-free practices as we can.