My name is Joie Littleton and I will be entering my senior year this fall. Since coming to Eugene, I’ve picked up a few hobbies such as hiking, river rafting, and mushroom foraging. 

One of my favorite places to visit in Eugene is Hendricks Park. The park is the oldest city park in Eugene and is a lovely thirteen minute walk from my apartment. Its on a hilltop and has a great view of surrounding trees. It’s located in a secluded area and consists of various evergreen and deciduous  trees including 200 year-old Douglas fir trees  and many shrubs and other woodland plants such as rhododendron, ferns, mosses, trilliums, lilies, wildflowers, and other flora.

The park is very lush and green, quite different from what I’m used to, coming from Los Angeles where rain is scarce and water is being rationed by the city.   I’m fascinated by many things at Hendricks Park, such as a specific tree that is growing out of a stump.  It’s amazing how its growing so well there.  Also, the setting feels much like a botanical garden, where plants have labels identifying their botanical names. Sometimes you can even catch a glimpse of deer and their fawn walking through the park.  The park has many walking trails.  Of course it’s also a great place just to have a picnic with friends, and if you’re there late in the day, the sunsets are fabulous. Even local cats wander into the park which is nice … because I know them. I am a bona fide cat lover for life, so it always warms my heart to spot a furry friend here and there.

While the pandemic was at it’s height, going to the park was a great way to escape the humdrum life at my apartment. Walking to Hendricks Park has become a pastime of mine that I hope I can continue throughout the rest of my time attending UO.